Slap shot technique with pavoni on elektra double basket?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi. Well i just got my oe dosing funnell in today. So i can (thankfully as it is scraping my drawer al most didnt fit) able to grind directly on my basket on my scale. Could do portafilter but not on the scale too. So grinding dosing and weighing all at once with zero spillage or retention. Beautiful.

I watched the video for the slap shot and they used 22g in an 18 gram basket. I figured the same ratio at 17g in a 14 gram basket. After weight i wdt then slam it down and do the level per the video The forst shot was way to tight except on the edge where one single spot on the very far edge made a mouse tail for a 2min 40 second shot.

I kept getting edge shots with 9/10 of the basket not even extracting at all except one that was waaayy to fast...was obviously struggling to even get to a place where I could start dialing in.

I then dropped to 14 gram and did a slightly deeper finger strength tamp and it was closer and had better overall extraction but was way to fast and squirted everywhere...

Anybody have any tips on using the slapshot technique for pavoni with microcasa double?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Practice. It's a matter of tuning dose and grind to each other. Keep fine tuning it.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#3: Post by EspressoForge »

FWIW, I've never been able to get a good extraction with slamming down the basket more than a very slight tap. I feel now that even the slight tap disturbs things somewhat and I try to avoid it. I generally only do for decaf where I overdose and tap to settle a bit instead of adjusting grind.

But as Gary mentions, you may be able to do it if you can get things just right with WDT beforehand.

Have you tried just WDT and tamp without settling? Or WDT and nutating tamp?

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

I second WDT, You can fit 17 grams in an Elektra double easy with that, I do it frequently.

My WDT funnel of choice is the Aeropress funnel, the only part of my Aeropress I actually use.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

CrabRangoon

#5: Post by CrabRangoon »

In my experience, the slap shot or even just tapping a bit to settle a mound was better with smaller burrs. With larger burrs, both flat and conical, my smooth grinds begin to clump as I tap/knock them (whether I WDT or not).YMMV especially since the combo of grinder / machine / technique will vary so much from person to person.

I had better luck overdosing with WDT than I did with slap shot. I was dosing 17-18g for months, but once I began using larger burrs and finer grinds wound up at 15-16g doses instead. That works for me, but I can't say it should for others.
LMWDP #505

day (original poster)

#6: Post by day (original poster) »

Thabk you for the replies. I tried of some of your suggestions and think you are pretty much on track best luck so far being 14.5 slight tapping to lower mound and then remove funnel give a gentle shake and tamp. Still working out kinks though.

I have my pharos so that the grinds fall directly in the basket which sits on the scale giving very low clearance, so the oe funnel has just enough room to scrape the top of the lid so its pretty much the dream funnel for my setup- but apparently poor technique can mean the inner lip messes up the shot.

Will keep honing it
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone