Mahlkonig K30 Vario single shot timer setting

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
doppiodan

#1: Post by doppiodan »

My loooong-awaited k30 Vario just arrived. I can't set the single shot timer to less than 1.0 second. Is there a trick? SW is 1.20.6.

First impressions: it's a beautiful piece of German machinery! I love that it comes with a acceptance test data sheet. It appeals to an Engineer for sure. The grind adjustment is very smooth and it's really quiet. Can't comment on in-cup impressions yet but will try some too-fresh decaf shortly as I don't want to be up all night!

Also, what do you guys have the single shot button set to? I was thinking about 0.5 sec to purge to start with.

yatesd

#2: Post by yatesd »

Congrats on your new grinder! I'm not purging (just not enough retention for me to worry about) and I don't do single shots so haven't even pressed the first button. :D

Eventually, I might decide to assign my (2) buttons for doubles and triples. For now, just pushing the right button works for me. I suppose "Barista Mode" might be an option. Just tap both dose buttons simultaneously and tap the grind button.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by uscfroadie »

Like Doug, I don't purge. If retention was a factor I would, but it's so low to begin with that I don't feel purging is necessary.

I'm running v1.08, and to set my single or double to .1 seconds I just hold down the single or double dose button and turn the knob to the left until it stops.

Congrats on the grinder!
Merle

doppiodan (original poster)

#4: Post by doppiodan (original poster) »

Weird that I can't set lower than 1.0. Seems like a step backward with newer SW? Maybe they have hired some Microsoft "talent"? :)

Not a big deal as I can just do a short burst if I need, then reset the timer. If neither of you bother purging that's a good data point that I may not be able to taste the difference.

Now to work on a custom hopper/chute! No idea who would design a kitchen with cabinets 15.5 inches about the counter! I miss my old kitchen with a custom espresso bar-plumbing in the wall, filtration in the attic, and NO overhead cabinets!