Fiorenzato Doge Conico jamming after switch from single dosing to hopper - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LaMarzooka

#101: Post by LaMarzooka »

I've never experienced jamming using the Macap hopper with my Doge Conico. This was one of the 1st-Line clearance models back from 2010. Mine is s/n: 0083. I've never used the 5-lb hopper sitting somewhere in the basement. Since late 2015, I switched to single-dosing and will never use that zit of a Macap hopper again.

Anyone want a Macap 1-lb and/or Doge 5-lb hopper? ;)
Espresso or no go!

IanB22

#102: Post by IanB22 »

Just to finish the point (for me anyway).
My solution has been working for a number of weeks (maybe a month or so) without issue.
To me (and your results may vary) this has been a 100% fix.

Ian

drgary
Team HB

#103: Post by drgary »

IanB22 wrote:'Legal' in Italian vintage machinery, in my experience, is loosely interpreted...and many of these machines are marked 220v....I think the ones marked 110 was a quick shortcut.
Thanks for reminding us of this. I actually have a 220v step up transformer for my North roaster. When I have a chance I'll put the hopper with some old beans on my Doge and see if the stalling problem goes away. When we do build out the coffee nook in our house we're going to have a 220v line right there.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dmw010 (original poster)

#104: Post by dmw010 (original poster) replying to drgary »

I've been waiting to see the results of people testing on 220v, rather than sending my Doge to 1st Line to experiment with capacitors. I did talk with a local electric motor shop about it, and they said they could not easily determine whether the motor was designed for 220 or 110. If a step-up transformer works for Gary, that will clinch it for me, as our Doges appear to be identical internally.

I'm ready to sell my Doge and buy a Monolith, so I'd like to know whether I need to tell prospective buyers they should run it with a transformer. It works fine for single-dosing right now, and presumably will work fine with a hopper using a transformer, but I really like the single-dosing workflow of the Monolith.

BTW, what size transformer would I need?

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#105: Post by pizzaman383 »

There were some web pages that listed 600+ watts and others that listed 300+ watts. If they relabeled 220 grinders to 110 that would cut the watts in half, too.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

dmw010 (original poster)

#106: Post by dmw010 (original poster) »

So can anyone other than Ian confirm successfully running the Doge Conico in the US at 220v with a step-up transformer? Even better, running it at 220v without jamming with a full hopper?

drgary
Team HB

#107: Post by drgary »

I will give it a try tomorrow morning, not a full hopper but extra beans and a weight. If it's at all better I expect it's the right fix.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#108: Post by drgary »

Mine still stalled at 220v.
Gary
LMWDP#308

dmw010 (original poster)

#109: Post by dmw010 (original poster) replying to drgary »

That's disappointing. Not sure where that leaves us for an explanation of the stalling. I'm past trying to solve the problem, but I'd like to be able to explain it when I list the grinder for sale, because I certainly have to disclose the problem. I suppose it was always too much to expect Mazzer Robur quality at less than half the price.

drgary
Team HB

#110: Post by drgary »

I will probably eventually take mine back to the motor shop, show them the capacitors posted above and see if that fixes it, but I have limited time recently. For now I consider mine a motorized HG-1 in a nice package and use it for 1 - 3 doses, grinding through to clear the beans from the burrs. Espresso quality is excellent.
Gary
LMWDP#308