Problem(s) with replacement Olympia Cremina wand?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
CrabRangoon

#1: Post by CrabRangoon »

i just received a new OEM steam wand for my Cremina and have noticed a few issues with it, so I'm curious if others have run into any of these things in the past. My Cremina is vintage, and the wand is the updated current version, but many others seem to have successful wand swaps.

1) the new wand tip looks the same as others, but does NOT have the slight indentation in its blunt end for a flathead screwdriver.
2a) water & steam were leaking from where the tip threads to the wand;
2b) if the dinky o-ring is to blame, I replaced it with a beefier one, but this slightly protrudes from the would-be seamless joint from wand to tip and then
3) once that leak is fixed, steam and water leak from the nut that affixes it to the steam valve

I'm hoping I just got a bad wand and replacing it entirely will be the golden ticket, but the vendor actually took this one off a new machine as their parts inventory is far behind schedule. I'll hear from the vendor on Monday, but has anyone else had any of these issues?
LMWDP #505

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

I don't know anything about points 1, 2a or 2b. (But you shouldn't have to replace any o-rings on a new wand.) The solution to issue 3 is to seat the steam wand better, perhaps using a bigger wrench. You do need to finesse the process so that you can really crank down on that nut and still keep the wand pointing in the desired direction.

Double Shot

#3: Post by Double Shot »

I just did this upgrade myself. I didn't have any issues with the steam tip but the nut leaked pretty badly when I first attached it. I ended up wrapping one turn of thread tape around the olive - that's the little bulbous piece the nut fits over. Make sure you don't cover the hole with tape. I had to tighten the nut in stages and keep aligning the wand. It still has a very small weep but it's nothing that bothers me.
LMWDP #480.

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#4: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) »

Just got around to fixing this today. I had to clean off the Teflon tape I had around the steam valve threads and apply new (would not thread on if thicker than a single layer of tape). This fixed Issue 3, but I had to put the OG o-ring on and Teflon tape the tips threads as well to get a leak-free seal. All is well, performance wise, and I am able to remove the tip easily enough (with grip from a rubber dishwashing glove) without the notch for a screwdriver.
LMWDP #505

IMAWriter

#5: Post by IMAWriter »

before I sold my /81 Cremina, I replaced my wand. OE sent me a new wand. Replacement took 15 minutes, no leaks, no tape, no problems.
So much easier to clean. BTW, the tip should unscrew for cleaning.
Only thing I wonder is if the new wands aren't as correctly fitted as was my 2011 wand from OE?

Edit...should have been "Tip" not top.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

All of these are also good questions for Johnny Cerini, the U.S. Olympia dealer. If he sold you the wand he would be able to tell you how to install it, and he's very service-oriented.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!