La Marzocco GB5 pump motor won't start plus many blown fuses - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ricardo_dacosta (original poster)

#11: Post by ricardo_dacosta (original poster) »

Thanks Eric! Luckily I found an electric motor repair shop not far from where I live so will take the motor there on Monday and report once I get it back.

Bikeminded

#12: Post by Bikeminded »

Just a parallel story. I had a specialty motor that needed attention for another application (unrelated to espresso). Would have cost $1000-ish to replace (spare parts are a rip off.) A local motor shop replaced the bearings and other misc work for $70. I was a very happy guy. :D

#13: Post by ricardo_dacosta (original poster) »

Eric would you happen to know what would be the cons of using a 5amp fuse instead of 2amp?

I guess am not patient enough to wait for the motor to get fixed or stubborn thinking I can maybe fix on my own...this morning ended up opening the motor and did see some spongy material pretty dry...decided to oil the bearings...then connected a 220v plug and plugged it directely to 220 outlet...motor jumped a bit but did spin freely...so I tried again wired on the machine and with a 2 amp fuse won't start but with a 5 amp fuse it does.

Any thoughts on that?

cuppajoe

#14: Post by cuppajoe »

Possibility of 'blowing up' something other than a fuse. The fuse rating is to protect circuits/components and upping that rating can cause harm to more expensive things than fuses. Nothing personal, but you seem a bit in over your head. You are messing with high voltage, water, and high heat, which can lead to death, injury, and destruction.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

#15: Post by ricardo_dacosta (original poster) »

Bummer just when I thought this project was almost done something major shows up...after finally getting the pump working with the 5amp fuse, attempted to pull a shot and suddenly the water pressure gauge went pass 15psi...then water started leaking to the bottom of the machine...after detail inspection, I found a tiny leak on the coffee boiler :( wondering if it could be welded right on the spot or whether am gonna have to pull the boiler out? Am attaching a couple other images to give you an idea on how the machine is looking so far....it was in really bad shape and I was pretty glad with how things were coming along...having a leak on the boiler seems severe to me...

erics
Supporter ★

#16: Post by erics »

Eric would you happen to know what would be the cons of using a 5amp fuse instead of 2amp?
Almost exactly what David said. It would require a lot of search time to come up with a more definitive answer.

You have a replacement motor (possibly a replacement pump also) which is likely not equivalent to what LM originally configured this machine with. I would contact LM and get the specs on both motor and pump that they would ship with current GB5's and compare that to what you have.

As regards welding "in place", that is almost never done. It "looks" as though the leak is coming from where the heating element screws into the coffee boiler (gasket?). Clean all surfaces as is with a Dremel wire brush and take another pic.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com