Advice on first espresso/grinder setup, $600 budget - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cmin

#21: Post by cmin »

Yeah the Hario grinders are only ok when modded to be step-less for espresso (besides being slow as hell lol). Steps are huge, one click can gush next click can choke or spritz like crazy. I have a Hario Slim that I use for travelling though for drip machines.

mst3000 (original poster)

#22: Post by mst3000 (original poster) »

You're spot on. 3 clicks is barely a dribble, 4 gives me nearly 4 oz in 25 seconds.

Advertisement
canuckcoffeeguy

#23: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to mst3000 »

You can make the Hario stepless, which will help a bit. You'll need a posilock/nyloc nut to replace the stock lock nut. An M8 or M6 depending on if you're using a Skerton or Slim.
I used a stepless modded Hario Slim with a Mypressi Twist when I first started home espresso. So it can be done. But it's far from ideal and requires a lot of manual grinding.

You can also adjust dose up or down, if you're between steps. So try a lower dose with 3 clicks or a higher dose with 4 clicks. But the stepless mod will help. A Vario even better.

Also, it's better to weigh your shots than to measure by volume. Weighing is precise. Volume eyeballing is innaccurate because of variations in crema. So try weighing your brew output the same way you weigh your dose.