Rancilio Silvia with Auber PID has burned connector - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marcelnl

#21: Post by Marcelnl »

Think that is an offer too good to turn down, crimping really is hard work and requires good tools you will not likely want to buy yourself unless you plan to do lots of crimping yourself.
LMWDP #483

snwcmpr (original poster)

#22: Post by snwcmpr (original poster) »

You are right it is a great offer.
But, I don't know IRA, and I am just a few hours away from Auber.

I still have testing to do, and I am kinda busy with other tasks right now.
(Espresso is a pleasure not a daily requirement)

My roasting laptop crashed, I had to rebuild the whole OS from scratch. Install Arduino. And today I was able to log the first roast this month.
Kenya AA from GCBC, awesome by the way, even without a rest. Can't wait till a few days from now.
Chores in the yard as spring is popping.
I collect vintage camp stoves, so I have few that are on my list of needing some care.

I will get to the Rancilio as my time allows.

Confused,
Ken in NC

ira
Team HB

#23: Post by ira »

snwcmpr wrote:You are right it is a great offer.
But, I don't know IRA, and I am just a few hours away from Auber.
So you're not sure about me. Well, I'm willing to trust you, tell me how long the wire is and send me your address in a PM and I'll send you a new wire if you promise to send me the bad one in return.

I've been here since 2007, and am number 25 on the MVP list, that was a surprise and well, IMHO I'm trustworthy. For whatever that's worth!

Ira

Jani73

#24: Post by Jani73 »

I think that even with money it would be hard to get better wire than what Ira could give you.

snwcmpr (original poster)

#25: Post by snwcmpr (original poster) »

I have been busy with quite a few things this summer so I just now got back to the machine.
I went through the PID installation instructions to follow what wires go where.

The connector/wire that burned up also needs an original Rancilio connector as well as the (questionable) Auber connector. The original is cracked and broken.

Now, as for the cause.
As I was feeling my way around the wiring, a black wire from the PID was seen as not connected and the wire was bent back onto itself. As I went through the instructions, I saw that it is one of the 'Controller power cables'. A piggyback connector is used to add this wire to the system. I suspect it was never properly crimped into the piggyback connector.
That would explain the intermittent power and (guessing) possibly the cause of the burned connector. I am not experienced enough with this stuff to be certain, but ... possibly the root cause.

Ken