Mahlkonig K30 Vario upgrade - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
doppiodan

#11: Post by doppiodan »

Yatesd,
Dying to know if you got the K30 and how you're doing with it. I am living vicariously through you till Tuesday when mine (supposedly) arrives. It's on the slow boat to San Diego and I'm bummed to have to wait yet other weekend for it to arrive. It's about 90 degrees and beyond gorgeous though, so no complaints!

I never understood why all the importers are in NY when most of the U.S. coffee culture is in the PNW. Not much coffee culture in SD but it sounds like SF and LA are really developing. Not my places of choice to visit but maybe it'll spread south?

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by uscfroadie »

doppiodan wrote:I never understood why all the importers are in NY when most of the U.S. coffee culture is in the PNW. Not much coffee culture in SD but it sounds like SF and LA are really developing. Not my places of choice to visit but maybe it'll spread south?
Dan,

It probably has to do with the machines and grinders being made in Italy. Upper east coast is a lot closer than California for a ship's deliveries.

Congrats on the grinder. You are almost assured of loving it. Painful wait...I know.

Cheers!
Merle
Merle

Advertisement
yatesd

#13: Post by yatesd »

doppiodan wrote:Yatesd,
Dying to know if you got the K30 and how you're doing with it. I am living vicariously through you till Tuesday when mine (supposedly) arrives. It's on the slow boat to San Diego and I'm bummed to have to wait yet other weekend for it to arrive. It's about 90 degrees and beyond gorgeous though, so no complaints!

I never understood why all the importers are in NY when most of the U.S. coffee culture is in the PNW. Not much coffee culture in SD but it sounds like SF and LA are really developing. Not my places of choice to visit but maybe it'll spread south?
Well, I finally got it! Large; high quality, but I think it will work out very well. I had an inexpensive Capresso Infinity before and it is a night & day difference. Can't believe how much fluffier the grounds are and how much darker the espresso looks as it flows out of the portafilter. It easily chokes my Vetrano 2b.

Now I just got to figure out the settings...very easy to adjust (just hold down one of the buttons and turn the knob). I also like the way it counts down the seconds and how it can restart on-demand without losing its place.

I don't want to waste too much coffee. So for tonight, I have it set for double shots at 2.5 fineness and 3.4 seconds with my Redbird espresso. I will play with it more tomorrow since I am on caffeine overload. :D

The short hopper is the perfect size. Where I have it placed now with about 18 inches clearance I need to slide forward to fill. Once I move to a new area with 22" clearance I am hoping to be able to open the hinged hopper in place to fill.

In the end, I am very glad that I spent the money on the K30.

doppiodan

#14: Post by doppiodan »

Nice, glad to hear that it has arrived and pumping out the goods! Now I am even more anxious to get it! Have fun! Think I will roast some decaf in anticipation of a lot of playing when it arrives!

Merle, your input was what put me over the edge toward the K30. Great videos and posts here are the best way I have found to research without marketing hype. Thanks for taking the time to post your experience and thoughts.

yatesd

#15: Post by yatesd »

I guess everyone's K30 might be zero'd in differently, and of course coffee blends and age also create variables. However, as of today with Red Bird I have settled into grind setting 4, and 3 seconds for my double shot. Still really happy with what I am getting.

I bought a bottomless portafilter last week and it was unusable with my old grinder (spit coffee all over the place). Being new to this I had no idea if I was just really bad at tamping. :shock: Well, I am happy to confirm that it was the grinder. I finally had the guts to put the bottomless filter back in place and I am not having issues and looks just like the videos I have seen.

csepulv

#16: Post by csepulv »

Sounds good and congrats on the grinder. The K30 is on my very short list when I feel the pangs of upgraditis. :wink:
Chris

TomC
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC »

yatesd wrote:I guess everyone's K30 might be zero'd in differently....
They are. Your numbers can be quite different than someone else's even with new burrs. The factory sends them out with a blob of nail polish lining up where they seem to think they work best,but they're easily adjusted. The collar is finely threaded and can be set/calibrated wherever your particular tastes and range suit the widest amounts of coffees you regularly use. Generally, subsequent dialing in is super easy since you have so much space to make minute adjustments with the upper plate/grind setting selector.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
yatesd

#18: Post by yatesd replying to TomC »

Thanks, the range is what really impresses me (and it should at this price!). My $100 Capressa Infinity was maxed out and still not working properly. Of course I didn't realize how bad, until I had another grinder to use as a reference.

davebm

#19: Post by davebm »

I am also planning on upgrading from my Mahlkonig Vario to the K30 vario. I am glad to see everyone is so impressed with the grinder - I have been eyeing it for 6 months now and I think its time to take the plunge. I have many issues with my current vario - mainly consistency of the grind and the sliding paddles. Stepless is what I need :D