1970 - 74 La Pavoni Premillinium group screen

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
1972 Pavoni

#1: Post by 1972 Pavoni »

Any ideas on how to replace the group screen on a 1972 La Pavoni? The screen is a stainless steel disk that fit in a grove in the brass group. About ten years ago I forced it out with the piston and have run without it.

I am thinking about modifying the basket type group screen from a 1974 - 2000 pre-millennium or a millennium to fit. Both baskets are too tall, the correct diameter is between the two sizes. I would have to cut the top off the screen, leaving tabs so the o-ring holds it up.

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hello and Welcome,

You must have an earlier La Pavoni, as the transition to the removable shower screen happened around 1970. If you didn't destroy the brass sleeve then you may be able to source a screen but you would have to remove the sleeve to install it. Otherwise you can modify a later screen to fit the early group sleeve as demonstrated here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... 60_eng.htm

Another option is to source a newer brass sleeve from a parts machine.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

1972 Pavoni (original poster)

#3: Post by 1972 Pavoni (original poster) »

Thanks. The machine was probably made closer to 1970 then 1972 since it looks like your pictures. I definitely destroyed the part of the brass sleeve that held the screen about ten years ago when I hammered the piston down to remove the screen to access the piston seals. It is too bad I didn't have patience or this type of chat room back then.

I may try to procure a replacement brass screen, but I will probably end up just modifying a newer screen.

Thanks again.