DYI Funnel: How to keep grounds from spilling all over the place

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sonicd0012

#1: Post by sonicd0012 »

So I got fed up with my coffee grounds going all over the place and making a huge mess so I have found this nice transparent cup which miraculously fits perfectly in the portafilter ( though I do not remember where I got it from, I was hoping someone can look that up) and gave it a thought why not make this my funnel, and boy does it work! Not only it looks really clean and nice but no more spillage!

Instructions:
1. This cup is fragile so be careful not to squeeze it around or it will crack.
2. Get a sharp exacto knife and cut around the bottom area making many passes around the ridge of the bottom. It will not cut out but this will give it a clean starting point for the next step.
3. Jab with some force ( not too much ) into the area where you used to cut around and knife will go in. Keep jabbing while carving around the outside of the cut and eventually the bottom will start cutting out. Its normal that bottom will crack, so keep cutting and shaving away, just be careful not to crack the cup.
4. Get dremel tool and smooth and polish out the cut area as much as possible. (watch as the plastic goes flying all over the place especially in your eyes)
5. Place cup on the porta filter and dose
5. Watch as all your coffee grounds go exactly in one place.Enjoy mess free dosing!

Pics

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

sonicd0012 wrote:So I got fed up with my coffee grounds going all over the place and making a huge mess so I have found this nice transparent cup which miraculously fits perfectly in the portafilter...
Yogurt cups are usually the right size and are super easy to trim:

From WDT: How to Banish Uneven Extractions

If you want something nicer looking that resists static, check out Orphan Espresso's dosing funnels in aluminum and stainless steel.
Dan Kehn

sonicd0012 (original poster)

#3: Post by sonicd0012 (original poster) »

Well call me silly!

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

I use a trimmed small yogurt cup, works perfect since I single dose. I just empty the grinds bin into it.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

..or get a custom wood dosing funnel from "cannonfodder".

But if you DO ever go through that tedious process again, wear safety goggles when you're doing the Dremel step.
LMWDP #748