Roasting Profile Suggestions

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
day

#1: Post by day »

So, I am still awaiting an actual micro controller to start graphing and plotting and monitoring all my roasts more carefully.

In the mean time I am monitoring my air and bean temperature in a *whirlypopish* design with hot air also being injected, and roasted on an induction stovetop.

I used the hot air to preheat the internal temp to 220 then turned on the stovetop at temp setting of 220 for about 30 seconds until the overall internal temp hit 250.

I then dropped in the beans and set the power to "8" (minimum constant draw is a 2-350watts and max is 20-1800watts)
(BT-Bean temp, AT-Air Temp)

Daterra Sunrise Blend 255 grams

2:15.....- BT 200F AT 239
unknown-......251.........266 Lower power to "4"
unknown-......310.........309 Raise power to "8"
7:30.....-......362.........357 Lower power to "6"
8:50FC..-......385.........377 Lower power to "2"
12:30....-......421.........Un-. Drop

Dropped at what might have been 1 single second crack, but it took so long and growth was in the .2F/s then so I dropped, but I wanted to take it to second.

Obviously I did not really intend to have a 4 minute FC-SC interval.
Just before this roast I read that it was a good idea to lower during drying phase, ramp up after drying phase, and then drop again after first crack. I tried it but apparently overdid it. Any other suggestions ideas or info?

And just for good measure, though its meaningless of course, here is a picture of them under an LED:
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

day (original poster)

#2: Post by day (original poster) »

I wanted to go into second crack but i got too scared to burn the beans, and i was afraid that I was taking too long inbetween fc and sc so i pulled the plug before second crack really started. The one bean was mostly a joke though i thought i heard one crack just before dumping them:)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

That is mix of 8 different beans

"Blending consists of combining different Arabica varieties and different processing methods in order to achieve acidity, aroma, body and flavor compatible with the target customer's preferences. Daterra's Sunrise Blend consists of 8 different types of Arabica beans"

I would expect a wide range in the roast level between beans so that may be a normal for that blend.
Dave Stephens