French Press paper filters

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#1: Post by cannonfodder »

Came across when looking for whats new in greens on Roastmasters. Interesting although a paper filter to go onto the plunger may work as well.

http://www.roastmasters.com/french-press-filters.html
Dave Stephens

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Espro's new travel press has a plunger that is customized for using with a paper-filter. Sort of like an upside-down Clever brew!
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
wsfarrell

#3: Post by wsfarrell »

Tried to buy a box of small filters for $6 to try them out and bumped into their $15 minimum purchase. I suppose I could have bought something else, but I resist that kind of thing on principle.

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

[creative nickname] wrote:Espro's new travel press has a plunger that is customized for using with a paper-filter. Sort of like an upside-down Clever brew!
FP and Clever are VERY different as a result of the stratification of fines and boulders in conjunction with the brew path to decant. FP is pretty sweet, whereas the clever is just backwards.

I'm not sure how a paper filter is going to make it to the bottom of a FP brew without getting clogged and building up resistance. Following cupping protocol with a FP produces super nice brews that don't need filtering.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

dilin

#5: Post by dilin »

Hi there!

I'm interested to learn more about FP using cupping protocols.

Is it something like this :
1) Grind coarser than a traditional FP (16 clicks on Hario Mini-mill),
2) Steep for 6-8 minutes at 200F,
3) Break crust, stir, scoop fines off top,
4) plunge and decant.

Thank you for any recommendations/suggestions.