LUCCA M58 by Quick Mill, reviews and owners thread - Page 39

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Zanderfy

#381: Post by Zanderfy »

Here's another interesting observation I would love help to diagnose:

I set the machine to 20 amp mode, and let 'er rip. I monitored the machine the entire time, and noticed the steam boiler up to the SV of 256 F after ~7.5 minutes.

From minutes 8.5 - 12.5, the brew boiler was at 198 F, struggling to make it to the SV of 200 F. It finally hit it, and promptly dropped down to 199 F again after 30 seconds.

I totally understand the need to allow an E61 machine to stabilize, but I am 21 minutes into watching the machine, and the brew boiler element is still blinking away, unable to hold the SV of 200 F. It drops from 200 F to 199 F and back to 200 F continuously. I have never seen this element behavior before.

EDIT: brew boiler SV has since stabilized after ~30 minutes.

Notes:

1) The PID is at factory settings.

2) I didn't touch a single thing (brew lever, steam joystick) after turning the machine on from a cold (~75 F) start.

Some takeaways:

1) Do I need to flush the machine to wake it up/stabilize it?

2) How might I diagnose if it is an electrical issue? For all I am aware, the elements are being throttled by my mains (?)

3) While pressing the up/down arrows with the machine already on and heating up, both element lights turn off, and do not turn back on (regardless of distance from SV) unless I exit the temperature settings (T1, T2). I do not recall ever seeing this behavior.

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#382: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Alex,

I think you already spoke to Gil about this, but just for the benefit of the thread...Our take away from Scace testing these machines is that once an e61 dual boiler machine has reached their target temperature, you can confidently trust the group design to pull a shot at your target brew temperature. Flushing an ounce of water through the group head will make the shot even more stable, but if a person doesn't do this they'll still be within a degree or two over the shot. Even though the PID might calculate a temperature drop of one or two degrees, the temperature at the group will consistently pull shots within a degree of that temperature a minute apart. It's common for the machines to sit at 199, because the PID doesn't display tenths of a degree, and their target is to sit as close to the target (200 degrees is most common) as possible without overshooting it.

Once the machine is fully warmed up, you should have to try to pull a bad shot. But in 20 amp mode particularly both boilers will be fully recovered by the time you clean the portafilter and milk pitcher, grind more coffee and prep for the next shot.

With regard to the previous joystick question, I have the original M58 prototype at home and the original joysticks work fine. We eventually updated the joystick design to use heat treated parts for even longer life, and your machine has those. And it's easy to open the joystick up too.

Thanks,
@BP

Zanderfy

#383: Post by Zanderfy replying to clivecoffee »

Ben, this is incredible feedback and information, thank you so much. As my own update to corroborate this, I moved the joystick around the perimeter a few times, and it definitely got the mechanism more freed to return to center.

Ben and Gil have been nothing short of exceptional, and if my comments and questions of concern seem uncharacteristically contrarian to this opinion, it is simply in response to a never-ending pursuit of optimization. Their patience towards my inquiries is laudable.

Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#384: Post by Wacobipe »

I just got shipping notice that my machine shipped yesterday and arrives Monday afternoon via UPS. The problem for me is I leave Monday morning for a week of work travel :?

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#385: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Brett,

Sorry to hear about that! Do you need us to intercept that package for you, or will someone else be available to receive it? Keep us posted.

Thanks,
@BP

Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#386: Post by Wacobipe »

Thanks Ben...My wife will be home so no need to intercept....unless you can intercept my week of business meetings and cancel my trip!

Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#387: Post by Wacobipe »

My Lucca arrived today as planned...unfortunately for me it is now on the East coast, while I am on the west coast...I'll have to agonize over it until I arrive home Friday morning.

idrinkjetfuel

#388: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

Tick tock, tick tock. The wait must be killing you :wink:
Good luck with your new acquisition!

gzim

#389: Post by gzim »

Wacobipe wrote:My Lucca arrived today as planned...unfortunately for me it is now on the East coast, while I am on the west coast...I'll have to agonize over it until I arrive home Friday morning.

<image>
I've had mine since May, and I am still thrilled every morning when I get to make us great espresso!
Good luck and enjoy...

Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#390: Post by Wacobipe »

Good to hear...I'm on the red eye from SFO tonight...should be caffeinating myself by noon tomorrow!