Toss out your grinder? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nick Name

#21: Post by Nick Name »

There are a some issues with this...

I know quite a few coffee inthusiasts who whine about the price of good quality speciality coffee. They all already have grinders (and espresso machines) so they won't be the target for this product which would cost even more.

Now, how likely would a person, who is not a coffee inthusiast, be happy to spend even way more into their coffee? At least here in Scandinavia people usually drink coffee that costs 6€/kg (speciality coffee usually starts from around 40€/kg).

Another thing is that I personally think that there already is enough consumer waste coming from products aimed for people who'd like things to be a little easier. I know many people here in Europe that are not using pods, not because their taste isn't so good but because of the waste they produce. Things might be different behind the ocean though.

Also, when travelling I carry my Porlex with me. It weights near to nothing and using it is a pleasant morning rutine. Where ever I go I want to use local beans (well I do bring some beans with me in case it should appear to be hard to find quality beans locally).

But still, I suppose there is a market for this product since the world is filled with stuff aimed at lazy people (I'm not intending to insult anyone, it just is) like instant coffee, instant rice (which is pretty handy when cleaning grinders), microwave ovens, any packets that say "just add water" etc... A neverending list.
None of these things offer better quality than the original, all they do is make people even more lazy. :wink:

jesse

#22: Post by jesse »

If the preservation tech really works that well (which remains to be seen, but sounds promising), too bad it's just a cog in a proprietary wheel.

I'm still interested, if only for its application in backpacking, which at the moment is in a sad state of affairs, what with genuinely-packable grinders of worth being nonexistent outside of the indefinitely unavailable Feldgrind and prohibitively expensive Rosco Mini.