Any greater Seattle area cafes using spring levers?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
pennywise

#1: Post by pennywise »

Hi all,
I've just begun researching lever machines and am looking to find espresso cafes in the greater Seattle area that use them. I heard that Caffe Vita in Fremont had one, not sure if they still do. Can't wait to try as many as I can.
Thanks!

roadman
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by roadman »

There's a wonderful bakery and cafe that just opened a few months ago in Redmond. It's called Midori and they use a 3 group spring lever.
They are very serious about their coffee service and equally serious about their baked goods. It's worth a trip if you're anywhere near Redmond.

nickw

#3: Post by nickw »

Caffe Vita used Bosco machines (last time I checked anyways) and is a distributor for them.
Maybe check with them which of their locations they have them at?
http://www.caffevita.com/

pennywise (original poster)

#4: Post by pennywise (original poster) »

Hi roadman, I rarely get to Redmond, but it sounds like it would definitely be worth the trek east from the I-5 corridor.
Thanks!

#5: Post by pennywise (original poster) »

Thanks Nick! I'll give them a call and check it out.

rittem1

#6: Post by rittem1 »

roadman wrote:There's a wonderful bakery and cafe that just opened a few months ago in Redmond. It's called Midori and they use a 3 group spring lever.
They are very serious about their coffee service and equally serious about their baked goods. It's worth a trip if you're anywhere near Redmond.
So, I thought I would expand on this post a bit since I've had a chance to try the offerings at Midori a couple of times. I tried their espresso, an Ethiopian SO, from Coava Coffee Roasters in Portland. It was a blueberry bomb pulled on a beautiful Victoria Arduino. I also ordered a latte with their espresso blend, from Caffe Lusso (right down the road in Redmond). The latte was okay, certainly better or equal to anything east of Seattle. Their baked goods are absolutely amazing so it is worth the trip for a lovely croissant. Espresso is definitely a secondary venture although they are trying. I tried to include a pic but since my 11 y/o was too busy to help me it probably won't work.
LMWDP #517

#7: Post by pennywise (original poster) »

Now I'll really have to make the time to get over to the east side. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Thanks Eric!

Maxwell Mooney

#8: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Morsel and Bean in Ballard uses an Astoria lever. They use Conduit Coffee.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

roadman
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by roadman »

rittem1 wrote:
So, I thought I would expand on this post a bit since I've had a chance to try the offerings at Midori a couple of times. I tried their espresso, an Ethiopian SO, from Coava Coffee Roasters in Portland. It was a blueberry bomb pulled on a beautiful Victoria Arduino. I also ordered a latte with their espresso blend, from Caffe Lusso (right down the road in Redmond). The latte was okay, certainly better or equal to anything east of Seattle. Their baked goods are absolutely amazing so it is worth the trip for a lovely croissant. Espresso is definitely a secondary venture although they are trying. I tried to include a pic but since my 11 y/o was too busy to help me it probably won't work.
I just returned to Redmond after a long absence and went to Midori. The pastry is still terrific but I'm sad to say the shots pulled are not up to the level that were being pulled when they first opened last year. It's still worth a trip for the baked goods. The coffee while good enough, needs some work.

rittem1

#10: Post by rittem1 replying to roadman »

Agreed. It needs to be said that this is a bakery first and foremost. I think you, and me plenty of times as well, were helped by a part time barista. When I've asked for an espresso there they make me clarify that I only want an espresso, not a drink with milk. Their machine, Victoria Arduino spring lever and coffee, Caffe Lusso and Coava, are more than up to the task. It screams potential and if they'd bring in some more experienced baristas it would be a step in the right direction.
LMWDP #517