Giotto Premium Plus valve issue?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
samhfoley

#1: Post by samhfoley »

I have had my Giotto Premium Plus for 6 years now. Thus far I have only had to replace the steam tap a couple of years ago. Recently my machine has been making unwelcome noises. After lifting up the cups that I rest on top of the machine, I saw that a lot of water had accumulated under them. After taking off the top of the machine I saw that the Vacuum Breaker Valve's pin was in at first and then started emitting sporadic spits of water. Finally, the pin popped out and a steady stream of steam came out. The pin never reset itself. If I run the hot water from the front arm of the machine until the boiler is empty the valve pin goes back down. However the problem persists each time the machine comes back to pressure.

Andrew at Giotto said the valve might be defective and that I should replace it. Sound like the right way to go? Thoughts?? Please advise.

Thanks,
Sam in Japan (where repairs would probably cost as much as a new machine!)

kize

#2: Post by kize »

Yes, if it leaks after the pin seats- by all means replace it. I would do an upgrade and replace it with one that has a hose barb on it. Then plumb it to the pour over tank or out to the drip tray with a silicone hose. Then you wont have steam and water venting inside the machine.

samhfoley (original poster)

#3: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply Alex. I live in an apartment here in Japan, so plumbing in isn't really an option given the way my layout is configured. Disregard and get the standard valve or just replace with same type?

samhfoley (original poster)

#4: Post by samhfoley (original poster) replying to samhfoley »

That's the problem, the pin never resets. It gets up to pressure, begins sputtering water/steam, the pin comes out and steam is constantly released. The only way the pin ever resets is if I release all the water from the boiler through the hot water spout in front. Then the pressure drops to zero, the pin resets and the whole process repeats itself.