Time to clean Compak K10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

Yesterday the K-10 started making a much louder noise than heretofore, so I have "clean the K-10" on today's to-do list.
Would someone give me a basic step-by-step to getting it clean?
I just don't want to waste time doing it backwards if there is a procedure I should follow.

Thanks

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

Before you start taking your K10 apart, try putting your hand on the plastic tray in the base of the grinder while the grinder is running. Did that make the noise go away?

Over time, the plastic ears that hold the tray in place get loose and the thing rattles like crazy. It sounds like the buzzing is coming from inside the machine, but it's not. I usually put a layer of black electrical tape on the plastic ears to wedge it into place more firmly. This needs to be repeated periodically.

If it's not the plastic tray, I'm not convinced that cleaning the grinder is in order. It's unlikely that grinds accumulated inside the burr chamber would cause noise -- they're mainly pressed up against the walls away from the sweeper arms and they're relatively soft.

The noise could indicate loose motor mounts -- i.e., a loose screw. Gently tipping the grinder or moving it around might confirm that. Another possibility is the nuts that secure the top cover are a little loose. Try putting your hand on the top cover while the grinder is running.

FWIW, I've had my K10 for over five years and have never removed the top, opened the burr chamber, etc. I don't hear any unusual noises except when that darned plastic tray gets loose.

SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

I'm so glad you didn't answer me too soon; I already cleaned her out pretty well.
But, that plastic tray did come dislodged while I was doing that and the noise went away too....:-))))

The law of unintended consequences is enforced once again.