Elektra Nino? I think I bit off more than I could chew

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bamaster

#1: Post by bamaster »

So I wanted to try a big conical. I thought, hey, how about that shiny Elektra Nino? That's a "titan" conical grinder, right? Saw a couple videos on the YouTubes. Pretty! So I ordered one.

Then it arrives today. The box is massive. And heavy.

Then I opened it. Booya! It's huge! I mean, like this-could-be-a-real-tiny-locomotive huge. The same way a Great Dane could be a small horse. It totally eclipses my Mahlkonig Pro-M grinder. Hysterical.

So I don't know how it performs yet. These only come in 220V and my house is 110V. So I will get a power transformer/converter in the next day or so. I think I read the Nino sucks up like 900W of power. Again, hysterical.

So I'm second guessing this decision. If this thing doesn't blow my brains away, I'm getting a K30.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

Haha, awesome grinder. I really like Elektra, their machines are top notch and presentation is actually there. Especially on their espresso machines. But, I'm not sure they are always a good value at their price-point new. Just my opinion, but don't doubt that you've gotten one of the best grinders out there IMO.

I believe the term "Titan" grinder in part comes from the burr size, but mostly I always attributed it to the comical size these grinders take up on the counter. Especially with the coffee shop sized hoppers. Just thinking of filling my old Super Jolly's hopper completely had me wondering how long it would take to drink all that coffee.

Abnuceals

#3: Post by Abnuceals »

Wow ! Congrats for the new toy. Nice first try with a conical.
LMWDP 389

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

Beast of a grinder, but did you know how loud it was? That seems to be the only reason people that own them get rid of them, something described as a commercial jet liner in your kitchen lol

shadowfax

#5: Post by shadowfax replying to cmin »

Noise is not the only reason. I mentioned my reasons a few of years ago.
Nicholas Lundgaard

bamaster (original poster)

#6: Post by bamaster (original poster) »

I haven't heard it yet, but noise isn't a concern. The Pro-M isn't quiet either.

The problems you had Nicholas, I don't think will bother me. I rarely change beans and waste isn't a biggie. I only make coffee on the weekends. Let me put it this way... I just finished 5 lbs of Klatch that I got 5 months ago.

My biggest annoyance with the Pro-M is that it sprays coffee everywhere. Way too fluffy and a bit clumpy. I hate the mess it makes. I just want to grind and tamp. The other grinders on my conical list were the F10 Fresh and Ceado E92. The Nino won out on looks alone. heh

shadowfax

#7: Post by shadowfax »

Sounds like it will work well for you. If you make sure and have the hopper half-full or better, it's awesome. And like you say, it's hard to find a more attractive grinder.
Nicholas Lundgaard

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by contraflow88 »

I can't wait to hear your comparisons with this grinder. It will definitely be a step up from your Mahlkonig Pro M for sure. Are you in Saudi Arabia?

russel

#9: Post by russel »

bamaster wrote:I haven't heard it yet, but noise isn't a concern. The Pro-M isn't quiet either.
Oh boy, are you in for a surprise. Mine terrified my small children. It made the baby cry and sent the overly dramatic one scurrying to his room. It does work as advertised, and if you use beans that same way a shop does you're golden. It really is a unique thing. I absolutely miss the drama of it. Epic.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

bamaster (original poster)

#10: Post by bamaster (original poster) »

contraflow88 wrote:I can't wait to hear your comparisons with this grinder. It will definitely be a step up from your Mahlkonig Pro M for sure. Are you in Saudi Arabia?
Yes, I'm in Dhahran. Been here for 5 months, from Houston. You should have seen the customs guy when I brought over the Rocket R58. He was like, what's this?! Haha