Space constrained first timer espresso machine/grinder setup - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Tanax

#11: Post by Tanax »

Have you checked Expobar Office Leva? It's an HX machine that, while it's about the same size as other machines in height and depth, it's smaller in width which is what most people have limited on their countertop. Don't know how it performs though but as far as I've read, everyone who has it seem to be very satisfied.

chaffshaker (original poster)

#12: Post by chaffshaker (original poster) »

Thanks to all for the additional notes. As I've already placed orders for my HG1 (arriving tomorrow!) and V2B (next week), I'm not in the decision making process anymore.

As far as my press grinder, I've been using a Breville Smart Grinder for a while now, and I find it adequate, though not perfect, for press grinding. As seems to be the case with most grinders, going for a very coarse grind and longish (6+ minute) steep time on press pots makes it less ideal. There are lots of fines in the coarse grinds. I employ a medium grind and a shorter steep, so it works out relatively well so far.

I will continue to consider a backup electric grinder for situations where I have large groups, though. The Vario seems up to that role, but we'll see.

Many thanks again for the suggestions and support.

chaffshaker (original poster)

#13: Post by chaffshaker (original poster) »

V2B arrived today. HG1 arrived very quickly after order, early last week. So far have only pulled a few sink shots, trying to dial in the grinder, but I wanted to mention that for a space constrained setup, the thing is a beast. I have it on the countertop but will definitely be looking for a new location soon.

I wish I had some sort of video running when I unboxed it. My wife's expression was priceless as she silently watched me set it up on the countertop. Thankfully she's used to my hobby addictions by now, so it was more of a silent sigh.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

I wonder what her expression will be when you start grinding minute rice ... :shock:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

day

#15: Post by day »

Haha thats how my wife looked when I started sanding down a 2oz porcelain measuring cup so i could get a perfect for to grind directly on my scale...your not alone :)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone