Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC... experiences?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bikeminded

#1: Post by Bikeminded »

I've some some site keyword searching on this but as you can imagine a name like that pretty much shows up in a ton posts unrelated to them.
https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/

Been looking at their site and they have a lot selections, good prices, and free shipping above $35. I Emailed them about 'freshness' and they promptly responded with the following:

"All of our orders are roasted per order so the coffee is exceptionally fresh. After roasting the coffee will be processed which shouldn't take more than a day and we use priority shipping. The roast date will be on the bottom of the bag on a small white label. We use the julian calendar format so the number will represent the day of the year. Let me know if you have any further questions!"

It all is sounding good. Can anyone provide input on coffee's that they have tried from FRC and favorites?

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

I've ordered from them a couple times in last few months. I too thought it was kinda gimmicky/odd with the name lol. But so far, coffee is actually pretty good, one odd thing they won't divulge the make up of their blends/origins. Dark Nebula blend I think is our favorite so far, have had it, Blackbeards Revenge, and Mocha Java. Just ordered Dark Nebula again the other week along with Black Knight. Black Knight is too oily for me, kinda gums up my grinder and for whatever reason its been really tricky dialing in over the past two weeks which hasn't happened with the other blends. I'll stick with their mediums from now on. Their pricing is really good and they run specials usually, and if you check a product sometimes they run a special deal under selecting it (like I just ordered a 2lb bag of Dark Nebula).

Doesn't blow me away, but definitely a very good solid company and very solid offerings imo and great pricing and fast shipping (free shipping over 35 is a nice perk too).

Advertisement
Bikeminded (original poster)

#3: Post by Bikeminded (original poster) »

Well, I just ordered a whole smattering, including the Dark Nebula. Got a couple lights as well. Been wanting to try.

Dark Nebula
White Knight Light Roast - Organic Fair Trade
Fog Kicker
Tiger Nebula
Haitian Blue - Direct Trade - Organic

Bodka Coffee

#4: Post by Bodka Coffee »

They have low prices. They must do huge volume or not make much money.

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

Just noticed they have Bali Blue, only had it from one other roaster (fair mountain). My favorite "bright" coffee. May have to give theirs a try.

cmin

#6: Post by cmin »

Bikeminded wrote:Well, I just ordered a whole smattering, including the Dark Nebula. Got a couple lights as well. Been wanting to try.

Dark Nebula
White Knight Light Roast - Organic Fair Trade
Fog Kicker
Tiger Nebula
Haitian Blue - Direct Trade - Organic
Just cracked one of my jars of Dark Nebula from the freezer today (I break batches down and freeze). I really really like this blend, it kinda reminds me of Redbird in that nice comfort/nutty type taste but also very forgiving like Redbird is. Wasn't even dialed in and pulled almost 2oz and it was still great and in milk great as well.

Black Knight not a fan of, way too oily and it was like static hell, didn't care for it taste wise either but also b/c I just could not get it dialed in right. Didn't care for it on drip either. So far only thing from them I tried I didn't like, everything else has been good, my wife loves the Dark Nebula as well. Let me know how you like Tiger Nebula vs Dark Nebula, may order Tiger next go around.

cmin

#7: Post by cmin »

So I was curious with Dark Nebula as there are smaller and rounder then normal beans in this blend, I'm thinking it has robusta in it. Would make sense as the crema is super thick with this blend, yet its so smooth and nice, no bitterness no crazy acidity. Pulled some shots today, lattee, and then an iced coffee with a shot, all were so good.

Advertisement
Bikeminded (original poster)

#8: Post by Bikeminded (original poster) »

LOL...your talking me into cracking into mine. I freezered it a have about a week of Redbird to finish. May have to break some of this out and try it!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#9: Post by EspressoForge »

It looks like they must do their blends well, which is probably how they make good profit. Looking at their greens, I could say that must be why their prices are good (cheap green source):
https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/african-green (Pictures look like my pile of culled beans! And green prices aren't that great competitively)

Not to try to take them down a peg or diminish that their blends work well for comfort espresso, since that's what Italian espresso has been so good at. Taking average to sub-par beans, blending them, and being able to make shots that don't have bad flavors. And a lot of people that visit my house, probably wouldn't know much of the difference between any of my blends, single origins, or how high quality they are. Sometimes a cheap coffee isn't always a terrible purchase.

But ultimately and personally, I think this is a bit far off from real specialty coffee and a lot different than the higher priced (but I think fair for what they offer) roasters more often recommended. So while I would suggest that ordering some blends here may be just fine, if you're looking for lighter or medium roasted single origins, go with one of the HB supported roasters who source very high quality greens.