Gritty feeling on top of the mouth with Chemex

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
thepilgrimsdream

#1: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Gear:
Chemex
Chemex White Filters
Hario Skerton
Bonavita (202f) (deerpark)
Escali Digital Scale
Coffee: my own, Counter Culture (currently George Howell Rwanda)

Method: Slightly like Stumptown, but experimenting with center pour after the bloom
42g coffee to 700g water
Ratio 16.6 to 1
30-45 second bloom
4:00 filter out.
roughly 20oz

Problem:
I am getting great flavor, but I keep on having a sandpaper feel on the top of my mouth/tip of my tounge afterwards. I am not getting that in my aeropress, but I prefer Chemex, cause I find slightly more clarity and distinguishable flavors.

My thoughts:
Hario could possibly be inconsistent or paper filters could be bad, or maybe its my technique. I use to use a finer grind and do 7.25g to 6oz of water, but I think my flow rate was too slow causing a little more bitterness, but no paper grit as far as i can remember.

Suggestions?

MWJB

#2: Post by MWJB »

It's definitely a tangible, tactile feeling, rather than dryness/astringency? If you are getting silt passing through the filter you could try sieving the grinds before brewing with a very fine sieve/flour sifter to get rid of the finest particles, and/or try a Hario V60 02 paper as these have a tighter weave.

Do you have much liquid above the grinds bed when you pull the filter at 4 min?

thepilgrimsdream (original poster)

#3: Post by thepilgrimsdream (original poster) »

I might try the sifter and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure its not a dryness or astringency.

I have a super jolly in the attic until I can afford a GS3 :shock: , but I've heard they are disappointing for drip.

I'll order some v60 filters, and if my wife allows me, I'll use that 25% Baratza, baristas guild discount :)