Looking to upgrade espresso machine, budget $2000 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Desmo490 (original poster)

#31: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

I have not made my purchase yet....but will probably do so before the current deal runs out.

When I purchased the Lelit, I did so with the intention to upgrade in a couple of years. Back then, Rocky and Miss Silvia were all the rage for affordable home equipment. I started out with a Krups Gusto I found at a second hand store, and a Solis Maestro grinder, and quickly realized I wanted better gear. I just couldn't see adding a PID to a $300 machine that didn't even have a 3way sol valve or autofill. I do have one on my home heating boiler, and my Big Green Egg though!The lelit has given me 11 years of trouble free operation, and I'm hoping that the V2B will do the same.

Thanks for all the help guys! It's been awhile since I have been active on the coffee forums.....I used to be pretty active on alt.coffee waayy back when, then on CG, and I've just recently signed up here again. I was a member a few years ago, but I think the account gets deleted if you're inactive. I've been doing a fair amount of reading here in the past week.....and will continue to do so. I'd love to get back into home roasting, but I travel for work to frequently. Had to give up home-brewing for the same reason!

Compass Coffee

#32: Post by Compass Coffee »

One final thought. Believe you're planning to use Rocky initially and upgrade grinder later. If you haven't replaced Rocky's burrs in ~100lb ground for espresso through him do yourself a favor and get new burrs!
Mike McGinness

#33: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

Rocky got new burrs a couple of years ago......but, I have decided to hasten my search for a new grinder.....the new exhaust for the bike can wait awhile!

I pulled a couple of nice SO yirg shots this morning on the old machine before heading to the airport. They may have been the last .....

solo

#34: Post by solo »

Desmo490 wrote:Rocky got new burrs a couple of years ago......but, I have decided to hasten my search for a new grinder.....the new exhaust for the bike can wait awhile!
So, is this a Ducati Pantah? (trying to deduce from your "Desmo490" user name)

#35: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

No....the 490 really has nothing to do with the Ducati..... it's a 1200 Monster.

#36: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

So, as it turns out....I ended up ordering the machine I first wanted when I decided to upgrade.....a Bezzera Magica. I know it's a HX, but I'm ok with doing the cooling flush. This model has a 4L reservoir, so I think I'll be just fine. I'm already doing a 2 oz pull on my current Lelit to warm up the group and kick on the boiler before I pull my first shot anyway. The HX cooling flush seems pretty much the same as far as time/water waste are concerned.

I really like the steam/hot water levers on thi s machine instead of knobs too.

I used the money I saved over the V2B to buy a Ceado E6 grinder with timer as well.

Thanks for everybody's help! I'll be sure to post up some pics and my thoughts on the new equipment once i get it set up.