Best Drip Coffee Subscription?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TheLaxPlayer

#1: Post by TheLaxPlayer »

Hello folks, I'm hoping to find input on coffee subscription services you've tried. I do not own espresso equipment yet, so this is in regards to drip coffee only.

I've found three compelling monthly subscription services - Counter Culture, Klatch, and Paradise Roasters. All three come out to $15-16 per 12oz bag, but Counter Culture ships two bags in each order (so $30 a month) whereas Klatch and Paradise will ship one a month for $15 and $16 each respectively. These prices all include shipping.

Given that the three all focus on single origins and stock rotates regularly, I don't feel I have any good way to choose between the three. I can't really order and try the coffee to see what I like when the point is to always have something new and interesting around. So... how do I pick? Any input is welcome!

For reference I tend to like anything but Sumatra, with Costa Ricans and Ethiopians being my usual favorites. I'll likely keep a Costa Rican around to fill in the 2-3 weeks a month in between subscription orders.

Thanks for any input!

TLD222

#2: Post by TLD222 »

I've been very happy with Sweet Maria's roasted coffee subscription:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffe ... -6571.html

As opposed to 12 oz. bags, you get two - 1 lb. bags every two weeks, postage included, for $35/shipment. A little more bean for your buck, but it's 2-4 times as many beans per month as the others you mentioned.

Very good coffee and an easy company to deal with.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Not to complicate your decision process, but many (most?) roasters offer this sort of thing. Look around! I hear good feedback about Ruby's subscription program, for example; as a bonus, Ruby often ships two 8-oz. bags instead of one 16-oz. bag.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

TheLaxPlayer (original poster)

#4: Post by TheLaxPlayer (original poster) »

Sweet Maria's is great, but I can't justify the $70 a month it would cost for their roasted coffee subscription. The plan is to keep a cheaper coffee around (Red Bird's SO coffees run ~$12 a pound shipped if you buy 5 lb bags) and just have something new and interesting show up at the door once a month that'll last me a few days.

I know many roasters offer a subscription service, I guess I was hoping for feedback (if anybody has it) on which programs they've tried and how they like them (IE "Roaster X shipped 9 bags of Sumatra in the 12 months I was subscribed but Roaster Y was always something different").

Thanks

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

I liked tonx but stopped after blue bottle took over. Mtn air also is great. The verve. Gaslight roasters.

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

i've only just started with Ruby's Coffee, but they come highly recommended:

http://sprudge.com/the-sixth-annual-spr ... bscription

I had a Tonx subscription that dated back to their launch, but so far I prefer the selections from Ruby's.

However, the Blue Bottle subscription-they acquired Tonx-is probably the most customizable service out there. Via the online interface, you can basically tell them how much coffee you want them to ship and how often you want shipments. That's pretty user friendly. (That software had a lot to do with the Blue Bottle acquisition, as I understand it.)

#7: Post by TheLaxPlayer (original poster) »

I signed up for Counter Cultures subscription... I'll post my thoughts at a later date. If I find I'm not a fan I'll likely switch to Blue Bottle.

Ruby's sounded interesting but four of the last five months they've shipped a Colombian and a kenyan. I'm hoping for more variety than that (I know there's more to variety than just the country of origin, but it still seems less desirable to me).

Eastsideloco

#8: Post by Eastsideloco »

You can't really go wrong with Counter Culture. They source great coffees, and roast them well. And, yes, they will have a much wider selection of coffees through the year than most roasters.

#9: Post by TheLaxPlayer (original poster) »

To be clear I wasn't knocking Ruby's, I just don't think it suits my intended purpose as well.