Daterra Roast recommendations for espresso

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi, I am getting 2 lb of each this week:

Daterra Sunrise blend
Daterra "bourbon collection"
and Daterra Sweet Blue

How would you guys roast these for espresso?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

All of them, lower and slower than any profile you see here of a hard,high grown bean . Very generalized I know, but you'll have to fine tune most of by your results in the cup. You'll find nuttiness and complex bitters (hopefully pleasing ) in most results.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

day (original poster)

#3: Post by day (original poster) »

EDIT: forgot to say thanks for the reply.

By low do you mean light roast or low temperature?

What would you recommend for pourover? I plan to go through all the beans available at my local supplier and test the for espresso, make some notes, and then try my hand at some blending. But pourover is my start of the day coffee so I will have to roast some for that as well. Hopefully they will dual purpose, but if not then I might want to make a separate for pourover?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

day wrote:
By low do you mean light roast or low temperature?

Low charge temp. You don't want Brazilian coffee heated too quickly and picking up any harsh flavors. For the pulped natural additions, most, but not all roasters would suggest going a bit lower heat, longer drying phase because the higher residual sugar content as apposed to a washed, would tend to need such an approach. Short, fast and hot Brazilian coffees can taste a bit off. They require a more delicate hand. But as with anything, YRMV. Since Brazilian coffee has come such a long way in the past few years and Daterra probably has more money and technology invested into coffee cherry processing than anyone else in the world, it's hard to make generalized or negative judgements on what you'll end up with. And as far as a charge temp, it's extremely relative to your roaster, and a whole host of factors. If you've roasted a lot of coffee in the past, start with a batch about 50°F lower than a typical high grown washed central and see where that takes you.

As far as pour over, it's hard to nail down a specific. If one of the options you have manage to maintain any crispness, (acidity) and sweetness at the level of development you choose, then it would likely brew up well.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

edtbjon

#5: Post by edtbjon »

I bought two Penta-packs at a decent price about 6 months ago. D. Mellow and D. Full Bloom respectively, 25# of each. I was quite excited as some Daterra exclusive samples had been excellent. But I was in for a disappointment. Some 10# into these beans I just start to get something decent out of them. The first couple of months I roasted with a Gene Cafe, which gave me decent roasts, except for the Daterras that is (they were just ... flat). These last 3-4 months I've used a Huky 500 on which I start to learn about how to roast coffee. This machine have heat and air to spare and all of it have to be contolled by the roaster all of the time.

For me these tips from Tom makes a lot of sense. I just started to use a longer drying phase with these beans and they are starting to behave. Charging at a lower temp will "automatically" make the drying longer. I take it all of the info is already there to be found, e.g. in this forum, SM and other places. It's more a matter of digesting what you read and transfering it into the roasts. Next stop: all of the Roast and Learn threads...

Again: Thank you Tom for your patience and passion. :!:

edtbjon

#6: Post by edtbjon »

Just to fill in about a Daterra Mellow which I roasted 6 days ago and had a first taste of right now. I did load a bit more beans (400g instead of the usual 250-300g loads I normally roast). I also charged them at a bit lower temp so that the drying phase should become some 30-60 seconds longer. From there I tried to keep the deltaBT at a steady slope, without any dips or bumps, through the rest of the roast, dropping at say FullCity.
This roast have the nuttiness and nice body that I'm looking for. Finally some success with this bean.
Just for the record, the cup I just finished was brewed in an Aeropress for 1m40s. Yum... :)

9Sbeans

#7: Post by 9Sbeans »

edtbjon wrote:Just to fill in about a Daterra Mellow which I roasted 6 days ago and had a first taste of right now. I did load a bit more beans (400g instead of the usual 250-300g loads I normally roast). I also charged them at a bit lower temp so that the drying phase should become some 30-60 seconds longer. From there I tried to keep the deltaBT at a steady slope, without any dips or bumps, through the rest of the roast, dropping at say FullCity.
This roast have the nuttiness and nice body that I'm looking for. Finally some success with this bean.
Just for the record, the cup I just finished was brewed in an Aeropress for 1m40s. Yum... :)

<image>
Terrific profiles! :o

For a longer (12-14 min) roasting time, I used to aggressively increase the fan speed to stretch the development (after the 1st crack end, before the 2nd crack start, the re-acceleration stage). The ET could be below the BT. However, too much air flow SEEMS to decrease the volatile fragrance. (Just a hunch, don't have good method to vigorously test this hypothesis.)

In your profiles, the ET and BT converged at the end.

FWIW, Gregr @ hukyforum suggests (http://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,101.15.html) the duration of the first crack time should be 1:15 - 1:45, and the temperature rise being around 15F. I checked my profiles and yes, all of them agreed with Gregr. Some of my profiles have extended 1st crack duration, because I didn't record the 1st crack end during the roast. :wink:

edtbjon

#8: Post by edtbjon »

Just a short note about my profile above. Don't take the 1C-end to serious. I guess it ended about one minute before my indication, but I just forgot to press the button. While I don't remember that particular roast in detail, I do know that I should not pull back too much and too early in 1C. While I don't want the RoR to rise in the middle of 1C (which it does in this graph, but not much), I try to balance gas and air so that 1C is rather short and concentrated. The further the roast goes, the more delicate I have to be with the touch on the gas and try to find the balance with adjustment of the fan.