Which HG One cradle fits the Bezzera Strega?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Laflamme

#1: Post by Laflamme »

The product description for the PF cradle L1 (http://hg-one.com/product/pf-cradle-l1/) says "Our cradle fits the LONDINIUM I portafilter, which has the lugs or ears at 45° off center. The Delrin sleeve fits a portafilter with an outside diameter of 70.6 mm."

The Bezzera Strega portafilter also has its lugs 45° off center and seems (according to my rather poor measurements) to fit these dimensions.

Has any of you bought a Hg One cradle for their Strega? If so, which one?

I'm interested in buying a cradle because, right now, I have to tamp with the basket outside the single spouted portafilter. Considering it's the original ridged basket, every time I put it back into the portafilter, a "click" creates a small gap all around the puck. I try to close that gap by tamping a second time, but I would rather not have to.

So I guess my second, more general question is : do you tamp with the basket inside or outside the portafilter?

If outside, do you use a ridgeless basket? Would it make more sense to buy a ridgeless basket rather than a cradle?

JDolezal

#2: Post by JDolezal »

Laflamme wrote:So I guess my second, more general question is : do you tamp with the basket inside or outside the portafilter?
I tamp with the basket inside the portafilter, with the portafilter resting on a towel on the edge of our counter.