Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Getting odd taste

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Hello fellow HBers, I recently acquired a NS oscar, for the first month or two I was making some awesome espresso my technique is:

- Flush a cup full of water at the beginning of a session
- Grind beans evenly in the portafilter
- Tap the side of the portafilter several times with my palm to shake the grounds around
- Tap the portafilter on the counter to settle the grounds
- Tamp straight down ~30 lbs of pressure
- Do one quick flush
- Brew for 20-30 seconds.

Within the past week I've been getting bleh results, I can pick up on this salty/bitter taste in every coffee I use. It also manifests itself in lattes and capps, not just straight shots. I haven't changed anything in my technique.. I pulled out a bottomless PF and pulled a shot with that for the first 20 seconds of the shot the pour looks super even then the pump changes noises and it starts to spurt. I should note, I don't get very clumpy coffee and trying to stir the grinds yields the same result.

So far this has happened with 2 coffees:

Big Trouble from CCC
Heart mender from Commonplace

I typically put 18 grams in and get 30-32 grams out, this has always made an excellent latte. I should also note, the spurts only began happening recently I don't remember getting them at first, and If I did it didn't affect flavor significantly.

I wonder.. could this be a temp issue, or maybe the machine has significant scale build up?

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#2: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

Descaled /we'll see what happens in the morning!

bluesman

#3: Post by bluesman »

LukeFlynn wrote: - Flush a cup full of water at the beginning of a session
- Grind beans evenly in the portafilter
- Tap the side of the portafilter several times with my palm to shake the grounds around
- Tap the portafilter on the counter to settle the grounds
- Do one quick flush
- Brew for 20-30 seconds.
You're not tamping at all?

It's hard to believe that you've accumulated major scaling in a "month or two" unless your water's really bad or your guesstimate's really off.

#4: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to bluesman »

Forgot to add tamping. Tamp with 30 or so pounds of pressure, nothing too fancy or crazy.

My water is fairly hard, I neglected to mention I purchased the machine used.. It's a 2008 model, and it never appeared to be descaled.. I'm sure there is something living in there. When I get the chance, I'll disassemble the machine and do a full on proper descale. I'm sure there is more judging by what came out!

Also, I went ahead and pulled the screen off. It appears that even though I backflush every day there was a bunch of coffee residue on the rear of the screen. I will say this; the taste is marginally better this morning, I no longer get a salty aftertaste.

#5: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

Confirmed after pulling a bottomless pull - I no longer get channeling. I wonder if the coffee residue/buildup on the screen caused a variation in pump pressure. The pump would often change noise as if it was increasing the pressure; By the second change of noise the espresso would turn into a gusher. Now I don't get any weird pump noises, it's fairly quiet too has a similar noise level to a rotary. Now I know the importance of backlashing... not something to neglect. (Or descaling.)

#6: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

So, I realized something.. everything I did was unnecessary, I was blaming myself and my equipment. I realized this had only been happening since Saturday, then it clicked.. I got a cold on Friday and woke up feeling awful on Saturday (Stuffy nose, sore throat, etc.) then I finally went *duh* taste relies on smell... especially considering anyone else I made a drink for never complained or reported a "bitter/salty taste". I remember reading a post about someone drinking espresso while they were sick describing similar symptoms.. I feel dumb, but at least I know it wasn't my fault! Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

I have no experience of what a cold does but can imagine it may cause your taste to go off, yet I can vouch for the effect of quittting smoking...the result was a strange metallic (could also call it salty) and sour tasting espresso which faded over several weeks, returnin to normal after a good while.
LMWDP #483

#8: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

Ahh, that's a great description of the taste I am getting - metallic.