Help with Pharos grind setting for pourover?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi, so I am confused now. I am going ot give measurements in my ruler terms, but the idea is *how far out from zero* pourover on v60 with Hario kettle

I first tried pourover,

First:

24.4 grams, 380 grams water, 30ish seconds bloom, with a grind setting of 16.5 cm from zero this took 4 min (tasted great, but was not what I was aiming for)

Second:

24.4 Grams, 380 grams water, 30ish seconds bloom, grind setting of 18cm from zero this took over 5 mintes...wth?

Third

24.4 Grams, 380 grams water, 30ish seconds bloom, grind setting of 23 cm from zero this took 6minutes 30 seconds....VERY CONFUSED NOW....

I will test more later but...is there something I should know? Maybe the grinds got so big that the fines became capable of running to the bottom and thus clogging the V60?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

If you are turning the collar clockwise when viewed from the top you are grinding finer. Finer=longer

Advertisement
day (original poster)

#3: Post by day (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

I held the collar stationary and turned the handle clockwise which would make it coarser right? Will test more later of course but was very confusing...i have a video of the second one so i can confirm thats what i did... Maybe i am remembering the dose wrong of my first? I dont think so but if there is not something crazy i have missed it is the only explanation i can think of....
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

Yes, clockwise on handle with collar stationary will go towards coarse. I would treat it like artillery, bracket it, give it a full turn in the coarse direction.