183ºF brewing water wins Eastern Aeropress Championship - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Javier

#11: Post by Javier »

I have been trying Chris Heiniger's winning recipe with Rwanda beans roasted by Bodka Coffee. I am very impressed and happy with said recipe, since the cup taste pretty close to the actual smell of the beans (when grounded). From now on, this will definitely be my go-to Aeropress recipe at home. Thanks for sharing that link!!!
LMWDP #115

natew

#12: Post by natew »

I need to dig out the Aeropress again. I stopped using it once I got the Hario V60 Coffee Dripper because it is slightly more work. I love Ethiopian coffees and I could see this making them even more enjoyable overall.

johnny4lsu

#13: Post by johnny4lsu »

TomC wrote:I love stuff like this. It's a constant reminder to challenge the rules once you think you've mastered them. A lot of Aeropress techniques endorse lower brew temp methods, including Adler's own.

I think I might still have some green Zonedegido sealed away somewhere in the freezer....
I tried this recipe tonight with the high scoring Aricha from a while back (Sweet Maria's).. Excellent results.. I'm impressed.. Will definitely be experimenting more with this method

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

another_jim wrote:Regular aeropress coffee tastes excessively extracted, that is, with so much caramel, buffering and body that it will wow people who want comfort food, but leave coffee lovers who want clear flavor unimpressed. Maybe coarse grind, low temperature, and other means of underextracting are just the ticket?
Too long ago to remember the details, it was a couple of years ago, but Alan Adler (the Aeropress inventor) told me he'd never tried a coffee that tasted like blueberries, like others had described. I had a natural with strong blueberry flavor, perhaps it was Ethiopian Wote Konga, roasted by Klatch. So I invited him over. Anyway, I pulled a decent shot, or so I thought, on my La Pavoni Europiccola. He did an Aerobrew as he called it, heating the water in an Aeropress plunger in the microwave and measuring temp with a food thermometer. We used the same grinder. His coffee was the same brew ratio as my espresso, I'm not sure if they were the same temperature, but I vaguely remember we tried for that. I got spanked. His was better, with more flavor definition and clarity.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Mrboots2u

#15: Post by Mrboots2u »

bmock wrote:It does seem odd to me that in a comp like this there would not be one coffee used across the board. Just like the other poster said sometimes to me on a cupping table the one that is "different" jumps out at me for its uniqueness. It seems like to me it would be like judging a beer comp and tasting and amber next to an IPA???

On another note, I thought it was very cool that all the top finishers were "home brewers" .
At Last years uk event , they all used the same coffee .http://sprudge.com/uk-aeropress-champio ... retch.html

johnny4lsu

#16: Post by johnny4lsu »

Been doing this and getting excellent results...I've used my Aeropress more in the last week than the last year combined.

Paper filter

25g coffee
183 degree water
250g water
Ground at 28 setting on encore
30g water bloom for 30s
Poor rest of water until 1:15
Let sit until 2:45... Finish plunge at 3 minutes.