Attaching a thermocouple to this (E61?) grouphead

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Larz

#1: Post by Larz »

Below is a diagram of the group in my one-group Expobar Markus Commercial. The manufacturer insists it is an E61 however it is obviously quite different than the E61 in Eric's diagram (attached). I don't know exactly what constitutes an E61...is this in fact a type of E61 or some bastardization of one?

This is not an exposed grouphead and thus I cannot use Eric's thermometer, however I would like to install a thermocouple and some sort of PID. The closure plug in the Expobar diagram is an M6 x 8. I am not sure exactly what the internals of the Expobar grouphead look like but someone with general knowledge of such things (you out there Eric?) might give their opinion as to whether the location of the closure plug would be an adequate one to attach a thermocouple.

The other thing is that there is very little room between the closure plug screw and the chamber nut (aka Wash Jet Cap). I am assuming I will need to install an adapter to secure the thermocouple (Eric's??) The photo shows the relative proximity of the two...it's very hard to get in to measure without a lot of disassembly but I am thinking I only have about 3/8" from the center of the hex screw closure plug to the chamber nut...will that be enough room for an adapter to anyone's knowledge? I think Eric's adapter had a 7/16 hex nut which I guess may put me SOL.

Thanks

Appreciate the help.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

A thermocouple adaptor can be installed but the clearances are tight. One problem you will likely run into is that the stamping of the mfg name, CREMA runs into the M6 seat. This is usually overcome with an o-ring in lieu of the copper washer.

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
Larz (original poster)

#3: Post by Larz (original poster) »

Thanks very much for the response and photo Eric...you just happened to have an Expobar commercial unit available...amazing.
I am going to email you to purchase the appropriate items and seek specific recommendations.
Lars