Acaia scale and app for espresso

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

Is anyone using an Acaia scale and app for espresso? I bought one last week, but I was disappointed to find that the software for the app is devoted solely to brewing methods. The actual scale is good for espresso, as you can read the weight and time off the same display as you pull the shot, but the app is meant to help you analyse, record and share what you have done. And I can't figure out a convenient way to do this.

I would be happy to customise the display for espresso, but I find it strangely difficult to see how that might be done. If anyone has mastered a technique to do so, I'd appreciate some instructions.

Matt

RedMan

#2: Post by RedMan »

Hi Matt, they recently released a new firmware (v1.74) for the scale where one addition is the possibility to switch between brewing and espresso display modes: http://acaia.co/blogs/news/16729516-new ... your-scale

I've installed this version but haven't tried changing to espresso display mode. I usually only use the acaia for brewing.
It seems a bit clunky to change modes, you have to go into the setup menu by holding buttons when starting up, then input password, then run through the menu until right setting, change display setting then exit to turn scale off, then turn on scale again and new display mode is active.
Not sure why they didn't enable quick - changing this setting with a couple of presses of the buttons.

RedMan

#3: Post by RedMan »

Ps. forgot to mention that you have to have an ios device to be able to update the firmware. I use an android phone but there is no firmware tool for that OS yet, not sure why, borrowed a friends iphone to update.

mathof (original poster)

#4: Post by mathof (original poster) »

Thanks very much, Remi. I've updated to 1.74 but all it seems to do is allow you to eliminate the default minutes display from the scale: ie, in espresso mode you just have 00 for seconds. There is still no espresso profile to choose.

I have however now succeded in making a custom one. What I need to do next is create some new coffee choices for the "Bean Stash", but it seems only to allow the generic default ones.

Matt