E61 grouphead slow recovery - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

The only other item I can think of would be the boiler water level being slightly increased due to some corrosion at the probe end. Remove the probe and clean the tip with carbide paper.

When reinserting, there should be about a 1/16" gap between the end of the nylon protection covering the connector and the top of the Teflon sleeve which the probe passes through.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

kwmatley (original poster)

#12: Post by kwmatley (original poster) »

Hmmmm, the gap between the end of the connector covering and the top of the Teflon sleeve was more like 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and then when I tried to remove the connector, the probe came up with it, moving about another 1/2 inch. I tried to take the probe out by unscrewing the top hex nut, but the Teflon sleeve doesn't budge. Do I have to remove the second hex as well? I think I'll adjust the gap down to the 1/16 you mentioned and see how things go tomorrow. If that doesn't help I'll take another crack at removing the probe. Thanks.

erics
Supporter ★

#13: Post by erics »

This is (obviously) not a pic of your machine but I am just illustrating the dimension I am referring to.

Remove the connector, loosen the top nut, twist and pull the probe out. Clean as necessary and reinsert. DO NOT attempt to remove the Teflon sleeve . . . you would likely end up ruining it.
Skål,

Eric S.

#14: Post by kwmatley (original poster) »

Yeah, compared to your photo the gap on mine was huge!

I had to take the Andreja out of service for a couple of days due to some plumbing work I'm having done. I'll post on progress once I'm up and running again.

#15: Post by kwmatley (original poster) »

OK. Back in business.

I took the probe out and cleaned it. It had a bit of discoloration on the end, but no big deal. No real change in recovery time after replacing it.

I guess one thing that could be going on is that the boiler pressure gauge is reading a bit high and the boiler is running too cool for quick recovery. In the meantime I've started playing with my flush temperature. I guess there's nothing magical about the 185 F temperature; it's just what works for you, right Eric? I'm finding that a cool down to 190 F gives me a more reasonable recovery time, and so far the shots have been good. Another puzzle though, it takes a tantalizingly long time for the temperature to move from 196.9 F to 197 F. After a fairly steady ramp up it just sits at the very edge of 197 F for, maybe, thirty seconds. Maybe it's just messin' with me....

erics
Supporter ★

#16: Post by erics »

I guess there's nothing magical about the 185 F temperature . . .
That's absolutely correct. As you can well imagine, everyone has their own, sometimes unique, way of making espresso. For example, lately I have been flushing below 185 because the time I spend in grinding, WDT, weighing, spooning the grinds into the basket, prepping the basket, etc., etc., etc. has worked out just right FOR ME.

What is bothering me is the APPARENT change in machine behavior you have experienced. Send me an email to the address below my sig.
Skål,

Eric S.