Should I purchase Acaia Pearl scale?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Have hit Search on here and nothing shows up. Notice that some HB'ers list it in their profiles.
I'm new to the world of pourover and it seems by reading the hype it would make preparation safe and scientific. $129.00? Hmmmm, is it worth it?

At moment prepare by the seat of my pants and want to get better.
Certainly will not proceed unless I hear some impressions. Youtube video leaves something to be desired as it sounds like advertising.

The Acaia website is interesting but evolved changes are vague. It does appear to be a brilliant idea if it is practical.
Would appreciate comments.
Thanks

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

I have one on order, so can't speak from experience, but here's one way to look at that $129:

How old are you? How many more years are you going to be drinking coffee (at least the kind whose brewing will benefit from an accurate, versatile scale)? What's that cost look like spread across that span of time?

A good scale is a really valuable thing to have, whether you're brewing pourover, press, or espresso. The fact that the Acaia can measure time simultaneously with weight multiplies its value.

EDIT: You can find several videos on YouTube that show how the Acaia can be used (that aren't fluffy marketing). I was in your shoes not long ago and came to think the Acaia is rather brilliant. /EDIT

Again, FWIW...
- John

LMWDP # 577

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I got six pages of search results with the search term "acaia" including the following two threads dedicated solely to this scale:

Acaia Coffee Brewing Scale (Kickstarter)

Acaia coffee scale

I took part in their Kickstarter and still use this scale every day. I use it for brewing coffee and espresso and also for cooking, it's nice that I can weigh up to 2 kg with this and still have the resolution and accuracy to use it for espresso. I didn't realize that you needed a phone with Bluetooth 4.0 (for the Low Energy feature) to connect with this scale so I have not used the app much, when I do I borrow my Wive's iPad. (I have an old iPhone 4 and an even older Droid) I'd recommend it even without the app, the battery seems to last forever and it doesn't shut down on you mid pour. It even has a weigh / timer mode which is enhanced with the latest firmware so that you can time and weigh your pours from the inbuilt display of the scale.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272