Just bought an Ascaso Steel Duo Professional from Craigslist - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#11: Post by HB »

ben8jam wrote:So I had an impulse buy today. An Ascaso Steel Duo Professional popped up on Craigslist and I got it for $130...
For future reference, please don't cross-post your questions from CG. Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? provides the rationale behind this policy. Moderators reserve the right to delete cross-posts. Those following this thread may wish to read the responses on CG to avoid needlessly repeating the same suggestions. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

mariobarba

#12: Post by mariobarba »

That looks like a Prof group, 58mm. I have a Duo Tronic, similar machine, with volumetric dosing. The steam from the thermoblock is much more powerful when the heating light is on or just turned off. Mos commercial single and double baskets fit the portafilter. I've only found a few that didn't fit.

Great machine for entertaining and capable of making great espresso with the right coffee and grinder.

ben8jam (original poster)

#13: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

mariobarba wrote:That looks like a Prof group, 58mm. I have a Duo Tronic, similar machine, with volumetric dosing. The steam from the thermoblock is much more powerful when the heating light is on or just turned off. Mos commercial single and double baskets fit the portafilter. I've only found a few that didn't fit.
Great thanks. I've read a few places people have said it was listed as 58 but actually measures 57, hence my confusion. Glad to hear from someone who has one!

#14: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

HB wrote:to avoid needlessly repeating the same suggestions. Thanks.
Sorry didn't know. And honestly I cross posted TO CoffeeGeek cause HB is the main forum I check. :D

HoldTheOnions

#15: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If you have the skills, I would most definitely open up the boilers and also the pump and inspect/clean the insides if necessary. I would also try to arrest the rusting on the heating elements by carefully removing as much as possible with a stiff wire brush or maybe foam sanding block. IMO you made a good buy for that machine. Closest thing to this I can figure is a used/refurbed gaggia baby twin, which go for $200+.

#16: Post by ben8jam (original poster) replying to HoldTheOnions »

Yes, I have already seen what I could remove cause I'd love to clean it all off inside. The previous owner had all the piping redone because of a leak, which is why the boiler is corroded, but they said the shop they took it too, didn't think it was a problem.

twolane

#17: Post by twolane »

1st line is the Ascaso importer for the US. Get in touch with those guys- they should be able to source everything you need.
Good luck and enjoy!

keepitsimple

#18: Post by keepitsimple »

HB wrote:For future reference, please don't cross-post your questions from CG. Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? provides the rationale behind this policy. Moderators reserve the right to delete cross-posts. Those following this thread may wish to read the responses on CG to avoid needlessly repeating the same suggestions. Thanks.
Thing is though, Dan, that not all of us have membership of coffeegeek. I don't for one, since they arbitrarily decided to disable my membership without giving any reason, but that's not something of any concern to this forum - or to me for that matter :wink: I don't read or subscribe to any other coffee forums either (apart from, in the past, toomuchcoffee.co.uk as I'm in Europe, but that is now largely moribund anyway).

In comparative terms, I've always found home-barista to be far less cluttered with the types of postings many of us probably find irritating, and generally to be populated with more helpful posts from well-informed people, so it is the only one I stick with.

I realise this may be construed as off-topic, however it is responding to your earlier post in this same thread. I'm happy to delete the content and repost in the "Why is cross posting strongly discouraged" thread if you wish.

bluey

#19: Post by bluey »

Technical data on Ascaso current site says their machines come with 58 or 60mm portafilters and the Prof models are 60mm.
http://www.ascaso.com/2012/eng/espresso ... teel1.html

Beyond that, Ascaso has a fairly complete list of spares for many espresso machines - so register and look there - a "-" is OK for lots of the required fields that are irrelevant.
http://www.repuestos-hosteleria.com/

Steel Duo prof models are different before and after june 2009 serial no 84300 with different catalog numbers on the portafilter holders, though coudl still be same diameter.

Description for bottomless filterholder listed for post-june 2009 models says "WEGA WITHOUT BOTTOM FILTERHOLDER".

On the online parts site:
"If you need a component That can not be found in our Catalogue ( book , DVD , website ) you can contact our Search Service.

Highly qualified technical personnel, will search for the correct item and advise you in case of problems.

Leave the search in our hands."

Ascaso Barista accessories catalog is good for a browse - so many things.....