Vesuvius: Brew ratio and dialling in - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
boar_d_laze

#11: Post by boar_d_laze »

FireBurnDread wrote:Wait... so brew ratio will affect extraction yield...
Not exactly. Partly for the reasons Dick gave, and partly for the practical reality that distribution flaws trump brew ratio. Distribution flaws always negatively affect desired extraction yields.

And by the way, if Dick goes back and rereads my earlier post he'll see that many of the things he said in response to it were things which I either expressly stated or were subsumed. There's not enough space between us for an espresso spoon.
Would one coffee, brewed with two different pressure profiles, PID temperature settings, brew ratios, and grind size, yet having the same extraction yield taste the same in the cup?
It depends. Why? Because the net effect of tweaking the various parameters you mention might result in a "wash," making the cups indistinguishable. Or, it might not.
Sorry, I'm still new to this refractometer thing
Always let your palate be your guide.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

FireBurnDread

#12: Post by FireBurnDread »

Thanks Dick & Rich. That's alot to digest and sounds like something I need to favourite

Though just on a side note, a couple of years back the Versalab M3 was cited a couple of times to be the best espresso grinder which eliminated most distribution problems. Just curious that the hype about it seems to have died down and now everyone's on about big conics and flats