La Spaziale Vivaldi 2 or Rocket R58. Which is better?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
avyossii

#1: Post by avyossii »

My professional friends!
I need your advice once again

I'm looking into two different machines:
1. Vivaldi 2
2. Rocket r58

Can you point out the advantages and disadvantages of the two so I can choose from the two?

Thank you
Yossi

neutro

#2: Post by neutro »

So you're looking at double-boilers, rotary-pump, plumbable machines under $3k right?

I've never owned or used any of those machines but recently went through the process of choosing a DB machine too. I obsessed over the various choices for several months. Here are my thoughts on those two machines.

The Vivaldi 2 has a more unique design. It uses a portafilter with a smaller diameter (53mm), would fit better under low cabinets. I like the controls a lot (steam joystick, clear buttons). It has volumetric dosing and easy to access PID settings. It is plumbed-in only (i.e. it doesn't have a water tank). Thus, it cannot be descaled easily, and it would be prudent to include the appropriate filtering equipment inline, which could raise costs. The tank model (Mini Vivaldi) is not plumbable and has a vibration pump. The tank on the Mini Vivaldi also slides out from the front, which is very convenient. The Vivaldi models are discontinued, or at least has been superseded by the S1 Dream and S1 Dream T (for "tank"), which are a bit more expensive but include new goodies such as "barista lights".

The R58 has a totally different look, more classic, and less exclusive since there are dozens of shiny stainless steel boxes with an E61 group. That being said, the R58 is particularly pretty and has pretty much all the bells and whistles you might wish for in a DB. It has a good reputation and is supposed to have great thermal stability. The PID controls are on a detachable controller, which you may enjoy or not. The E61 group is ubiquitous in this class of machines so it's very well known and compatible with lots of accessories out there. It is plumbable and drainable but also sports a tank, which is useful for descaling the machine or even just use it out of the box before you're ready to plumb-in.

In the same price range, you should also include in your list the QuickMill Vetrano 2B, the Profitec Pro 700, and also the Vibiemme Domobar and Izzo dual boilers. Probably the Expobar one too but I haven't looked at this brand as it was not carried by the place where I bought the machine. I for one ended up with the Pro 700 and I'm very pleased with it.

Joco

#3: Post by Joco »

Im curious, how come you aren't looking at the Izzo Alex Duetto 3?