Same dose, double basket vs triple basket - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
EspressoForge
Sponsor

#11: Post by EspressoForge »

brianl wrote:All I can think of is the double is pushing up against the screen.
I'm not sure...the IMS precision basket is pretty unique, I think it has both holes and a screen to it. I don't see why it should really be compared to a stock double and expect it to behave in a similar way as a stock triple would.

JmanEspresso

#12: Post by JmanEspresso »

Going from the double being a regular basket, and the triple being a precision, it makes a little more sense the triple runs slower.

Definitely makes more sense the triple is more finicky.

Advertisement
brianl

#13: Post by brianl »

Typically a precision basket requires a finer grind, not the opposite.

csepulv

#14: Post by csepulv »

sturm wrote:The double basket is the stock double that came with my expobar. The triple is an IMS.
FWIW, I find the IMS baskets to be finicky. They seem to magnify errors in technique: uneven distributions or less than level tamps that are okay on a Faema basket (which I think is your stock) can make you miserable with the IMS.

For me at least, the IMS baskets made me re-evaluate the consistency of my technique. Also, I've had better results updosing/grinding finer with the IMS.
Chris

boar_d_laze

#15: Post by boar_d_laze »

The stock and IMS baskets are different. So different performance is to be expected. If you want your baskets to perform the same -- more or less -- across different sizes... well... they won't.

You have to adjust grind and dose for flow time. You can't expect a double basket from one maker to have the same flow characteristics as a triple from another. You can't even expect different size baskets from the same maker to perform alike.

What you can expect from "precision" baskets is that a basket of a given size and model from a given manufacturer will perform the same as a different basket of the same size, model and manufacturer. That might not sound very impressive, but believe me it was a revolution a few years ago.

When you find the right basket, stick with it. If you use more than one basket it's worth paying the premium for the consistency of "precision." The more you care about consistent grinding and dosing, the more it matters.

If you only use one basket in your pf until it wears out (a couple of years at most before the holes start to enlarge and deform), use whatever works.

You like to overdose your basket, and it works for you.

You've getting great results from your stock basket. Quit trying to analyze it and fit it into some grand theory of espresso. Accept it. Rinse and repeat. Move on.

You're under dosing your triple (it's a triple, see) and grinding too fine for it. How do I know? It's not rocket surgery. You're putting a double dose in a triple basket and your flow rate is too slow.

To the extent puckology is ever informative, under dosed baskets often leave loose, soupy pucks.

Triples are a PITA generally, and frikkin' useless for pulling doubles. I know the triple put you back 30 bucks, but if you're pulling double shots, use a double basket.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator