Ascaso Uno issues - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zenon222 (original poster)

#11: Post by zenon222 (original poster) »

For completeness I wanted to update anyone who may read this thread.

The vario arrived yesterday. This thing is still a solid 11 lbs, it's maybe not built like a tank, but it's at least built like a hummer.

I was very confused because I started with some grind settings that others used, 2Q I think, the fineness looked even coarser than the Illy (the finer of the two pre-ground espresso grinds). This made my heart skip a beat, it is the machine I thought!

So I went a little finer, 1O, looked slightly finer than the pre-ground Illy, still scared.
Tamping resulted in MUCH more compaction than the Illy, holding my breath.
Pulled the shot, wow we're talking an 8/10 on my 1st try!
No sourness whatsoever, likely because of how hot the grouphead stays.

With the Illy, middle flow was very brief, quickly transitioning to Blonding
/espresso-g ... tions.html
With the freshly ground beans I cut it short before blonding occurred because I was getting too much volume in the cup, approximate 2:1 brew ratio in mind.

The shot seemed to be flowing too quickly, not a full gusher like the pre-ground, but too quickly. I'll leave the setting where it is for now, but may go a touch finer in a few days.

I think what's going on here is that the pre-ground coffee is not as fluffy (?dull burrs?), doesn't compact as tightly, and then channels.

This combo is awesome, the group head on the Ascaso stays very hot (burn your fingers on a portafilter that's been sitting there waiting), the grinder is fantastic, I give both a 10/10.
Up next will be DIY PID, the boiler temps vary too much, surfing is for the ocean.

Bottoms up!

ben8jam

#12: Post by ben8jam »

zenon222 wrote:This combo is awesome, the group head on the Ascaso stays very hot (burn your fingers on a portafilter that's been sitting there waiting), the grinder is fantastic, I give both a 10/10.
I just got my Preciso grinder today and finally started to test some shots on my Ascaso Duo. Curious if you have been temp surfing. I have been getting all over the place water temp (judging by steam) and I can even hear it boiling in there right before the light switches off.

zenon222 wrote:Up next will be DIY PID, the boiler temps vary too much, surfing is for the ocean.
Please let me know if you do this, or find a set of directions on how to for the Ascaso. I really want to do this, and I'm think it will be done with the Auber PID - or there are some nifty touch screen setups that require some programming.

syncroz

#13: Post by syncroz »

I have the same Ascaso Uno Steel as you, zenon222. I've had it for about 1.5yrs. It rewards good technique as you're seeing now that you have the Vario. Have you started in on the PID project? For me I've just learned to temperature surf it for now. Running water through it to force the heater to run and then pulling my shot shortly after it's done.