OE Pharos redesign - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
estern

#21: Post by estern »

Thanks for the additional info on the direction of the redesign, Doug. Are you able to provide any guess on the time frame of builds starting again? Even a broad guess like weeks, months, or years would be helpful. I'd love buy a Pharos to be a dedicated espresso grinder if it's available anytime in the near future.

Side note, is the upper bean hopper one of the parts destined for manufacturing? I'm imagining it would be useful to have the capacity expand a little. I often make triple shots that go over 21 grams.

boxerboxer

#22: Post by boxerboxer »

More on the Pharos redesign from across the hall:
OrphanEspresso wrote:It is gratifying to see continued interest in the Pharos...such a simple machine/concept, but more than meets the eye as it turns out.
Our 'redesign' at present is going well. What we are doing is changing the former plastic bolt covers to metal and having the clear top hopper made by injection molding and the lower black cylinder made with integral inner funnel by injection molding as well as the bottom pad molded also.These are the parts that Barb and I made by hand and the ones that were most prone to inconsistencies, so we get to have them made to high tolerances and in bigger numbers. This and other bits will allow us to make more than a few a week and reduce the wear and tear our bodies.
The new Pharos will look basically the same as the old one as we are not changing anything but the manufacturing methods...we will be able to anodize the plates and other aluminum parts so it hopefully will be a spiffier looking machine. The knob will be the same of course since it is the only universally loved part on the grinder, and the burr will be the same. From 20 feet away you will not be able to tell the difference and the name will remain the same.
If all goes well we should be building grinders mid summer.

The ground up redesign of the big burr grinder will be a much longer process and result in something most definitely not the Pharos.....new grinder, new name, new design and making it espresso only will open the design up for some interesting opportunities as far as grind adjustment and dosing.
Again, thanks for the interest.
Doug

Advertisement
sweaner

#23: Post by sweaner »

Any reason why a "Lido Extreme" cannot be built, using the large burr?
Scott
LMWDP #248

yakster
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster »

sweaner wrote:Any reason why a "Lido Extreme" cannot be built, using the large burr?
Would you be able to hold onto a "Lido Extreme" with one hand with a large burr and not have it slip? you'd probably have to use a leather strap around your wrist to keep it from moving. I don't think that this is the "Lido E stack" that Doug was talking about at the show.
Orphan Espresso wrote:The new Pharos will look basically the same as the old one as we are not changing anything but the manufacturing methods...
I didn't read this quote, but Doug said this almost verbatim when I visited him at the show.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ira
Team HB

#25: Post by ira »

Now that you've broached the E stack subject, as far as I understand it, it's just finer thread pieces so the range for espresso is closer to 1/2 a turn. Depending on how it''s been done it also might work for drip but be more like 4 or 5 turns from zero.

And I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

Ira

yakster
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by yakster »

I hazily remember something about four times the adjustment range (so what was one mark would take four marks) with the E stack, but I could have dreamed it or it might have been a coffee hallucination. I wonder how many impulse buys were made this weekend by people too hopped up on coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272