Stale Coffee Source? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bodka Coffee

#11: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Actually you probably wouldn't want dirt in your grinder. But I usually have just a bit of coffee left from each roast and I put it in a separate bag. Then I sell it for like half price. Surely other roasters do this?

jcran17 (original poster)

#12: Post by jcran17 (original poster) »

Bodka Coffee wrote:Actually you probably wouldn't want dirt in your grinder. But I usually have just a bit of coffee left from each roast and I put it in a separate bag. Then I sell it for like half price. Surely other roasters do this?
That is precisely the type of thing I was hoping for, but apparently not around here. I have read countless posts from other people referring to stale/discarded/left-over beans so maybe they just do things a little differently in CT.
pinky-and-me wrote:Any chance you're adding too much water to the beans before you put them in the grinder?
Great point. That was Craig's first question to me. But, I haven't had any static issues, so I don't add water at all.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

Bodka Coffee wrote:Tell them you want the floor sweepings:-)
day wrote:Haha that would make an awesome blend :)

Totally OT but some of the best espresso I've ever had was pulled from the 2009 Yemen Sana'ani greens that I got from SM. This was without a doubt the worst looking batch of greens I've laid eyes on to date. Tiny broken beans riddled with defects. I took one look at the bag & thought that someone was selling floor sweepings. I've bought a number of Yemen greens since then, all of which looked much better, but none have surpassed that batch in the cup.
LMWDP 267

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

Check out the coffee in the bulk or Max Pack isle of the grocery store, there's usually some cheap large bags of coffee hiding there. I bought a couple of bags for running through a bulk grinder.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

I could understand a known regular customer of a roaster getting some old beans.

Around here, old beans/odd lots/retailer returns go to food banks, missions, etc.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#16: Post by jcran17 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies. Never found a source for stale coffee, but I did find a set of broken in burrs which I have installed and am enjoying 25 rotations for 18g.

Now going to put this set (83mm aftermarket TIN coated) up for sale in hopes to find someone with an electric grinder that can put them to good use and recoop a couple $$.

Intrepid510

#17: Post by Intrepid510 »

Know you solved your problem, but 7 boxes instant rice and no breakin sounds like bum burrs no?

#18: Post by jcran17 (original poster) replying to Intrepid510 »

Don't really think so. The burrs functioned as designed in that they produced beautiful shots. The only problem was that by hand it took a lot of rotations to do so...