Cleaning syphon filter? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Peppersass »

Will the Cory rod work in a Yama 3-cup?

I see there are two types, with and without a spring. Is the spring necessary or will the non-spring version work?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster »

BoldJava's got the expertise on this but I'll paraphrase something he said on another forum which is that basically Yama put a edge dimple in some of their newer model funnels which causes the Cory rod not to seal well but the smaller Corning rod works even with this dimple. Also the prices have risen on the Cory rods on eBay. The thinner stemmed Cory 6.25" rods should work, if you can find them.

I searched on the Yama 3 cup and found that reports that they worked with the glass filter rods.

The spring versions are nice, but not a necessity. The spring keeps the filter rod from bobbling and the chain on the bottom goes down to the bottom of the base and provides nucleation sites for the water vapor to come out of solution to prevent super-heating and rushing out the funnel all at once in case you keep your glassware very clean. I've never had a problem with superheating without the chain, but I like the Pyrex lox-in rod with my 8 cup Yama. There's two length springs with the Silexes, one fits the 5 cup better and the longer fits the 8 cup, not sure about the 3 cup and if the Silex or Pyrex Lox-In spring-chain rods have any issue with newer models with the dimple.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Boldjava

#13: Post by Boldjava »

Peppersass wrote:Will the Cory rod work in a Yama 3-cup?

I see there are two types, with and without a spring. Is the spring necessary or will the non-spring version work?
As YakMon said, it depends on the recency of the Yama 3-cup. They seem to have built in a lip to ward off Cory glass rods. "New" Cory rods (redesigned and old vintage stock with slimmer barrel) works but they are as scarce as hen's teeth.

A Corning rod works regardless of lip/no-lip (no pun). I use Cornings in all my vacpots. Contact me offline, Dick, if you need a Corning. I have a box of about 25 rods, 3-4 of them Cornings. You can try it and if it works, pay me.

-----
LMWDP #339

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

I found a couple pictures in my Instagram feed of a Cory filter rod on the left and a Silex lox-in rod on the right in the small Enflavor Diguo F-1889 electric vac pot I tried out on a travelling roadshow. The funnel in the Enflavor came down so low that you had to be careful not to pinch the lock in clip to the base. The other picture is my Yama 8 with the Pyrex Lox-In rod which has a longer spring, I like this one because I don't have to fish the end of the chain out of the funnel with a fork to attach it. I got these rods from BoldJava, I've only used a cloth filter a few times.

I liked the Enflavor, even though it was small, they seem to have disappeared from the market, though.

I did try out these seventy-five year old cloth filters that BoldJava sent me... still worked fine.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by Peppersass »

I just started a new thread about my first attempt to use a glass rod filter, which failed miserably. Would appreciate some opinions.