Allergy Medication = Bad Coffee?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Col_Potter

#1: Post by Col_Potter »

So i have been battling allergies and started to take benadryl before bed per doctors recommendation. I wake up without the usual allergy symptoms which is great. However, I have noticed that it makes my espresso taste sharply bitter, almost metallic. At first I thought I got a bad bag, and was ready to send a message to the roaster asking for a refund, but a client brought me a bag about 5 days off roast of Counter Culture and I noticed the exact same thing. I have tried cleaning by group-head, back-flushing with cleaner to make sure it isn't off flavors from my machine, but no change. Has anyone experienced this? I almost would rather deal with allergies than with this.
The Colonel

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

What other allergy meds have you tried? Suggest that you try Allegra or Zyrtec if you have not already.
Scott
LMWDP #248

new2espresso

#3: Post by new2espresso »

I use zyrtec every morning, and the coffee flavor has not been affected
Kind regards,
Karan

Andy

#4: Post by Andy »

I have experienced something similar after using saline nasal rinse. It made everything taste off, but coffee was the worst. I thought my coffee was bad too, at first, until I figured it out. Zinc supplements also may throw off your sense of taste. I suspect there are several other examples as well.