Mahlgut grinder (Kind of Pharos-ish) - Page 35

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RyanP

#341: Post by RyanP »

dominico wrote:The settings really do seem relative to the each grinder, my espresso operating range is between 3.5 and 6
Interesting. 9-11 on mine for a Cremina and Strietman.

grog

#342: Post by grog »

For me, btwn 7.5-9.0 on Oly Club and Cremina.
LMWDP #514

spressomon

#343: Post by spressomon »

Pulling super tasty espresso with my LI using Nossa Full Cycle, #5 setting on my Grist MG-1, 15.8g dose and B70 24.5 IMS basket. Long pre-infusion at boiler BAR then double ramp up to full lever spring @ 50%.
No Espresso = Depresso

bobbee

#344: Post by bobbee »

RyanP wrote:I don't know how you guys are pulling shots at that low a setting. Maybe something is up with the calibration on my grist? If I go below 9 on mine it will choke the machine.
Yeah, it seems that you can't compare the settings from one MG with another. For reference, normally I have the grind setting somewhere around #5 for my own roasts with the Behmor. For a little darker roast it's a coarser setting ofcourse. These beans roasted by [anonymized] on his coffeetech FZ94 had to be set #4,5 with 17,5 grams of coffee and extraction is in ~30sec on the Strega with an espresso parts HQ basket.

To be honest I also think it would be better if each MG would be the same but I think that is not possible, is it? There are too many tolerences. Maybe it even starts already with the burrs where there are diffirences, but when used in a Mazzer, Compak etc we don't compare it because of retention and al that...we just don't do it.
http://www.italmill.it/en/macine_foodfriendly.php

RyanP

#345: Post by RyanP »

I'd have to look for it, but I remember reading that Mahlgut's intention was for settings to be the same from one unit to the next so that we could reference grind settings between users for various beans/machines. That didn't seem to work out as intended. Either way, we all seem satisfied with the quality of the grind out of our grist, which is most important.

erik82

#346: Post by erik82 »

That will probably work once all MG-1's have ground a minimum of 50Lbs. Break-in does great things for grind settings :wink: .

theoleejunming

#347: Post by theoleejunming »

Plus there is a possibility of material supporting the top bearing bending downward ,due to using too much force when grinding light to super light roast. This will pull the true zero back.

dominico
Team HB

#348: Post by dominico »

Plus all the variables that go into the preparation of a shot, such as basket used, preinfusion and extraction pressure settings, pressure / flow profiles, etc, a truly useful comparison of one grinder's setting to another's would be difficult without two of them being physically located in the same place.

Comparing ranges might be more useful however; saying something like "my Cremina range is 7-8.5 where my Lambro range is 3.5 to 6" might give at least something in the ballpark to compare with others.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

bobbee

#349: Post by bobbee »

Mahlgut updated there website with new headers:
- Mahlgut-1S ?
- Motor add-on ?

So a new version of the original grinder? And the motor add on is finally getting to life!
We'll see in the next few weeks, I hope that motor add-on will not have a ridiculous price tag!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#350: Post by EspressoForge »

bobbee wrote:Mahlgut updated there website with new headers:
- Mahlgut-1S ?
- Motor add-on ?

So a new version of the original grinder? And the motor add on is finally getting to life!
We'll see in the next few weeks, I hope that motor add-on will not have a ridiculous price tag!
I've just gotten my Mahlgut in. In corresponding with the maker (Michael), he has mentioned a couple changes that the 1S has. They are:
  1. New Drawer - New one won't be welded as some people seem to love or hate the old design. Since it was handmade, it could never be perfect. The new one will have wood and stainless mix.
  2. Grind Adjustment Update - it should be easier to adjust and have finer threading so adjustment will be more accurate. I'm not sure exactly how he will make it easier, but this is a welcome change as this is my biggest gripe with the grinder currently. I think if he can make the system easier to adjust it will be a real home run.
  3. Crank - new crank handle will screw in place and not pop on/off as quickly. Not sure the reason here, maybe again for the weld reduction and to make it look cleaner
  4. Updated Materials - Biggest change is that anodized aluminum will be gone and new versions will only be available in a blend of stainless steel and copper. Streamlining the colors will let him ship grinders much faster as right now he struggles with offering too many options.
He plans to update his page this month and start selling by the end of the month. Right now he only has a prototype for the new materials so I think he wants to have it finalized before posting full specs and pictures.

On the motor side, it is coming to fruition, my understanding is that it will be:
  1. Bolt on kit to either version of the Mahlgut
  2. Battery powered - will come with the battery pack and charger
  3. Can grind up to 6kg per charge of beans, would imagine this is tested with darker roasts, light roasts will obviously require more torque and take up more juice.
  4. 2 hour charging and you're ready to go again
  5. Will return to the same spot after turning off for accurate grind adjustment
  6. Gear driven, the belt is only for prototype
  7. No price as of yet
Also just for full disclosure, Michael and I traded Mahlgut for Forge, but I have no financial interest in his company. Just starting to test the grinder and I'm really liking it. I think they fit each other well.

He has some other cool ideas coming, so would highly recommend anyone who wants to see them come out to support him and buy a grinder now if you're on the fence.