Plumbing in Expobar Brewtus iv-p

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Slfrat

#1: Post by Slfrat »

I'm in the process of gathering all the required bits to plumb in my Expobar brewtus iv. I have a Max best water filter, regulator and gauge. I plan on plumbing in the drain also. My question is, is the anywhere inside the machine that could fail causing a leak that wouldn't be caught by the drip tray and then drained away? I'm considering leak protection but not sure if it's necessary.

Thanks

OttoMatic

#2: Post by OttoMatic »

Sure, there are all types of lines and seals that could fail that would not fall into the drip tray.

Advertisement
Slfrat (original poster)

#3: Post by Slfrat (original poster) »

Does anyone know how the solenoid that is in line with the waterline on the brewtus operates. I'm going to be plumbing in the machine and wanted some kind of leak protection, if the solenoid inline with the water line shuts off the flow of water to the machine when it's powered off then I think that is all I need.

Thanks

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

The pump is always connected to one or the other of the boilers, the solenoid just switches between them. I plumbed mine in by getting a smaller bottle and adding a float valve . I also lowered the line pressure with a regulator to just enough to flow and until I had an automatic shut off on the water if there are leaks I turned off the water when I wasn't using it. I sent you a PM with a link to all the old Brewtus documentation I have. It has a schematic of the water system of an older version which I hope you will find useful.

Ira

jeebsy

#5: Post by jeebsy »

Slfrat wrote:Does anyone know how the solenoid that is in line with the waterline on the brewtus operates. I'm going to be plumbing in the machine and wanted some kind of leak protection, if the solenoid inline with the water line shuts off the flow of water to the machine when it's powered off then I think that is all I need.

Thanks
If i lift the lever when my machine is off line pressure water comes out the group

Slfrat (original poster)

#6: Post by Slfrat (original poster) replying to jeebsy »

OK thanks thats good to know, did you plumb in any kind of leak protection? have you had any issues? Im a bit paranoid about leaks?

OttoMatic

#7: Post by OttoMatic »

My situation is similar to Jeebsy. My Brewtus IV-R is plumbed in, and I've never had a leak -- except for when I leave the valves open on the steam wand, but that's my fault :D

It's been in place for two years, no issues.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

Slfrat wrote:...is the anywhere inside the machine that could fail causing a leak that wouldn't be caught by the drip tray and then drained away?
In theory, anywhere there is a joint it's possible, as with any plumbed-in appliance. Flood Mitigation for Plumbed Espresso Machines describes an automatic water cutoff system. Ken later suggests a "watchdog" solution that sounds an alarm if water is detected.
Dan Kehn

Slfrat (original poster)

#9: Post by Slfrat (original poster) »

Thanks for the info, my biggest concern is with something in the machine failing causing a leak not so much the plumbing leading up to the machine, there doesnt seem to be many cases on this forum or others of people expiriencing leaks from failed components inside the machine so I think I will take my chances, I guess the chances of a leak coming from my fridge or dishwasher is just as likely and I am comfortable without any leak protection of those components.