In Dallas, where do I go to get a good shot of espresso?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
KingDL1

#1: Post by KingDL1 »

I have been home roasting for over a year now, I am averaging 25lbs green a month or more, I am really loving what I am producing. I am in my 40's and up to a few years ago I hated coffee, I guess I still hate the coffee I tried most my life. But and a very BIG but I really love what I make today. I like my coffee black, my favorites have been the sweeter rounded coffees with a coco finish. My favorite roasts on micro lots are to a full city+ to maybe a light Vienna roast. I use a 8 cup Yama syphon at home and a commercial Bunn Drip at work, I like the coffee on the strong side I am told. I am just now playing with my own chemistry set to cold brew 2000ml batches. Not sure on this yet

But it seems everybody online is especially fond of espresso and my reading of these and other forums makes me think the perfect shot of espresso is the Holy Grail, the end of the rainbow, the final eventuality.

I have had espresso at Starbucks and a couple of restaurants, but I would not even drink the coffee in these places. So I figure it is on the same line as my coffee adventure just more complicated. Espresso machines are expensive and it seems like a lot of fuss for a small result?

Is there a place in Dallas to buy a good to great shot of espresso? Too see if this is a road I want to travel?

(Please move this if I am in the wrong forum)

BuckleyT

#2: Post by BuckleyT »

Well, since you suspected that you were in the wrong forum, why didn't you read down the top level of the forum and select 'cafes and roasts'? Alright, someone will move us; to answer your question,go to Ascension or Davis Street Espresso, you cannot currently find better than those two.
B

KingDL1 (original poster)

#3: Post by KingDL1 (original poster) replying to BuckleyT »

Thank you

I think it was a forest and trees issue, until you pointed it out I never noticed Cafes. In my mind I guess had these forums as only a technical place not that it makes sense.

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

desmond

#5: Post by desmond »

I went to Ascension a couple of weeks ago, ordered the house espresso, and it was okay -- chocolate with a tinge of fruit. The barista said it was cherry. That was before training with Heather Perry last week.

I've tasted Whole Foods in Highland Village - nice $40k LM MP machine from baristas with what I can see, some training although limited - and they make a smooth chocolatey espresso -- I am fine with it. To me, I enjoyed it as much as Ascension.

I tried Roots near Highland Village - they looked at me in an odd way when I asked for a double espresso -- never a good sign, or maybe it's unusual -- lol, given the area. It was a bland double.

Also tried Seven Mile Cafe in the same area -- big LM machine and Mazzers -- once again, the espresso was good but not memorable.

I'd like to fine a place that was more daring than chocolate ... chocolate, fruit and a bit of spice would be nice.

FWIW, I am using Klatch Belle Espresso and enjoying better shots.

Moral of the story may be if you want to enjoy excellent espresso, invest in the equipment and yourself with training.

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

Assuming the Dallas shop is set up like the Austin locations, go to Houndstooth and order a "two-fer." That gets you one shot each of their daily espresso offerings. They typically serve something more daring than chocolate.
they looked at me in an odd way when I asked for a double espresso
Most US cafes only serve what would traditionally be thought of as a double shot. Did you want to double down on that double shot and get two shots? Or did you just want a double shot? If the latter, just order a shot.

Put another way, I've never seen a single basket in use at a US cafe. Although, I'm sure there must be Italian-style cafes in this country where they serve a traditional 7g single.

(My boss once ordered a "double" espresso at an Italian restaurant in San Francisco. So they served him two standard shots. However, the standard shots were already double espressos. So he drank four single shots of Italian espresso-with Robusta in the blend-right before dinner. I knew this was bad. He later told me that he sat bolt upright in bed at 3am with his heart pounding and never got back to sleep after that. :roll: )

desmond

#7: Post by desmond »

Eastsideloco wrote:Assuming the Dallas shop is set up like the Austin locations, go to Houndstooth and order a "two-fer." That gets you one shot each of their daily espresso offerings. They typically serve something more daring than chocolate.

Most US cafes only serve what would traditionally be thought of as a double shot. Did you want to double down on that double shot and get two shots? Or did you just want a double shot? If the latter, just order a shot.

Put another way, I've never seen a single basket in use at a US cafe. Although, I'm sure there must be Italian-style cafes in this country where they serve a traditional 7g single.

(My boss once ordered a "double" espresso at an Italian restaurant in San Francisco. So they served him two standard shots. However, the standard shots were already double espressos. So he drank four single shots of Italian espresso-with Robusta in the blend-right before dinner. I knew this was bad. He later told me that he sat bolt upright in bed at 3am with his heart pounding and never got back to sleep after that. :roll: )
I made the error, then, of looking at the menu ... if it's what they call it, it's what it should be; and if it is not, they ought to tell you.

Customer service ...

It was still a lousy shot, I don't really care if they looked at me sideways. It was curious. I think they gave me a look because not that many people, from my experience as a customer in my area, order espresso shots.

johnny4lsu

#8: Post by johnny4lsu »

Cultivar...Can't go wrong

KingDL1 (original poster)

#9: Post by KingDL1 (original poster) »

Thank you everyone, I tried Ascension. I loved their cold brew. The espresso was creamy smooth and strong. It was neither sweet nor with any cocoa over tones in my opinion. Maybe the origin and maybe a dry process.