Rest after Roasting - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Goldensncoffee

#21: Post by Goldensncoffee »

I actually tried brewing right out of the roaster last week for the first time. I roasted a decaf costa rican. It had some unpleasant tastes which went way after even 24 hrs rest.

JK

#22: Post by JK »

I drink my roasts the next day all the time..
In pour overs I steep it a little longer and add a few more grams as well..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Almico

#23: Post by Almico »

I just roasted a Sumatra Mandheling. The beans look like dirt, wide range of size and lots of funkies. I had low hopes.

I can't seem to get my Phidget to work any more, so I can't use Artisan for data logging. But this is how the roast went:

2# charge on my Artisan 6.
5kW for the first 4:30, then 6K for the ramp to gather some momentum exiting the dry.
BT crossed 300* at 5:05 and beans were nice and yellow.
At 8:00 BT hit 360* and I turned down the heat to 5K again to allow as much pre-caramelization development as possible before 1st crack.
RoR slowed and 1st crack began at 10:45 @ 392*. Dropped at 420* @ 13:00 and cooled quickly for a light, barely City roast.

Beans still looked grungy, but I made a Clever drip as soon as I got it inside and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not usually a fan of Sumatras, at least I wasn't on my old roaster. But this light roast maintained a little high end, and the sweetness is amazing as is the body. No roasty flavors at all and not an artifact to be found.

Anyway, the point is I'm really enjoying coffee literally right off the roast now.

Almico

#24: Post by Almico »

With help from Moshe, I got my Phidget/Artisan software running. I just did a small roast of a Nicaragua Santa Lucille. This was the last of a batch that I never got right on my Frankenroaster. We'll see.

Anyway, here are the curves. It was about a 1# charge so I started off at 5kW. The beans were taking on heat quickly so I turned it down a bit approaching the dry end.

Then I bumped the heat to 6kW at the 4:45 market get the ramp going.

At 6:10 I turned it back down to 5kW to coast into 1Cs.

I'm glad I got the Phidget running. Now if I can only get two thermocouples to agree on temperatures! The Phidget BT probe is 5* hotter than the manual one on the roaster. So the drop was actually at 420*.

Also, the ET is difficult to track on the Artisan 6 roaster because the T/C is placed right at the neck of the airbox exhaust tube, just before air enters the roast chamber. There is a bit if a Venturi effect from air feeding back from the roast chamber and affecting the reading. Next time I have the top off the roaster off I'm going to try moving the T/C downing the throat a bit. Might help.

Just brewed a cup 20 minutes off the roast. Still not my favorite coffee, but 1000% better than previous roasts. Very drinkable. No roastiness. Not a lot of acidity. Nice body, but not heavy. Very balanced cup. I'm getting a hint of clove. Not bad. I'll enjoy this batch, but it would be nice to have more to try to bring out that clove.

thepilgrimsdream

#25: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

JojoS wrote:The irony so common with small batch home roasting. The peak comes only to find you have barely enough for a double shot.
Then your grind is off for the last shot, then when think you have finally found the perfect profile, your stash runs out....should have bought 10lbs from sweet marias. :|