Rancilio Silvia V1. Always a little water under bottom drip tray.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fett

#1: Post by Fett »

Hey guys. I recently worked on my Rancilio Silvia V1. The Boiler was leaking, and I took it part and cleaned it up. It seems to be working fine now, and from what I can tell the boiler is no longer leaking.

Every time I use the machine however, there is always some water under the bottom drip tray. I don't mean the water is in the drip tray, I mean there is always a little water underneath the bottom tray. The water does not leak onto the counter, it's only a small amount that is appearing.

What should I look at that may be causing this? Is it possible something is wrong with the OPV and it is spraying water enough that it is getting under the drip tray?

Thank you.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

The V1 drip tray must be pushed all the way 'in' or the three-way valve may drip "behind" the tray after each shot. Take the front cover off and blind-flush to see what I mean.

I can post a video tonight if I am not being clear.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Fett (original poster)

#3: Post by Fett (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

I am pretty sure I am pressing it in all the way prior to using the machine. I do however often move the machine around so I can get to the tank to check the water level, prior to using it. Perhaps when I move the machine around it is moving the tray.

I will double check next time I use the machine, and make sure the tray is pressed all the way to the back. It would be fantastic it's such a simple thing, thank you.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I put some foam tape at the front of the chassis to force the drip tray to always fit snugly at the back.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Alan Frew

#5: Post by Alan Frew »

Likely to be a leak where the right angle fitting connects the boiler hose to the pump. Can be fixed with Teflon tape on the thread.

Alan

Fett (original poster)

#6: Post by Fett (original poster) replying to Alan Frew »

So just to update this thread, the issue was with this hose, however it was on the other end where it attaches to the boiler. I removed this hose previously, when I was disassembling the boiler and I must not have attached it back properly to the boiler, or damaged the hose (it was hard to get off initially). On the bright side, since you had mentioned this, I had ordered a hole new hose kit with the new braided style just in case it was something with it. It should be arriving today, and hopefully I will have this fully functional again.

I think I now understand how this machine works from just about end to end now because of how much I've taken apart. Will be installing a PID next week, should be cake compared to the other stuff I've done.