Newbie help with grinder for espresso/pourover

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wcwilson

#1: Post by wcwilson »

Stupid question no 1. Thanks in advance for any advice, I look forward to this new journey of mine and participating where I can.

I've read through all the various newbie guides and grinder reviews. I thought the grinder should be my first step on my ultimate purchases and thought the mazzer mini might be a good choice. Total budget somewhere around $2000 for grinder, espresso machine and any other accessories. However it isn't clear to me whether I can use the mazzer to grind French press or pourover coffee as well or if I need a separate grinder for that. Also, it's not clear if there is a preference for type A or B.

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Most of us prefer to have separate grinders for espresso and brewing, in part because it is annoying to switch back and forth, especially on a grinder where it can be challenging to dial in a precise grind setting for espresso. There is also, at the high end of grinders, some distinction between the burr designs that give best results for espresso, and the burr designs that give the best results for brewing.

If you want something that will give "very good, but not excellent," results for both kinds of brewing, and that will be easier than most other options to switch back and forth, check out the Baratza Vario or its more sturdily built sibling, the Forte. If you want to get the best possible coffee for both types of brewing for the least amount of money, I'd recommend the Orphan Espresso Pharos for espresso and either the OE Lido 2 or a Baratza Virtuoso for brewing. Either should leave you enough budget to pick up a pretty good starter espresso machine as well.
LMWDP #435

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#3: Post by EspressoForge »

The above is some solid advice. Switching back and forth is a bit annoying, even if you mark your grinder. Consider which you'll use more, if it's espresso, go for a motorized grinder there, and maybe a hand-grinder for the occasional brew. Or vice-versa.

For a grinder on the espresso side, I would probably skip the Mazzer Mini. I know the new ones are supposedly better, but I would still look at Mazzers only if you can find something used. Super Jolly, Major or Robur...all should be available from local coffee shops/restaurants/bars that are deciding to upgrade or downgrade their espresso setups. If you're going new, I feel other grinders give you a bit more bang for the buck, but don't get me wrong, Mazzer is a great brand and very solid built, but these days there's just a lot more for options than there used to be.