I want to add a second pump to my Brewtus advise please

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gus

#1: Post by Gus »

I have always been annoyed by the steam boiler auto fill on the Brewtus. If I brew and steam at the same time it seems to always kick on at some point during the shot. The result is the brew pressure drops to 0 and then recovers after the refill cycle stops. I hate this.

I am replacing the pump next week and instead of tossing the old one I would rather turn it into a dedicated refill pump for the steam boiler. It still works it just can't produce consistent brew pressure any more. It seems like all I have to do is run a jumper from the current power source to the second pump, take the refill sensor wire from the primary pump to the second pump, and then change the plumbing connections to dedicate each pump to it's boiler. Right? Or is there more to it?

I will not be trying to fit this in the machine. I already run the pump and reservoir externally.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

What you want should not be hard to do . You won't need the 3 way solenoid any more, but you might want to use that solenoid with the new pump to vent the pressure in the line off to the drip tray so the pump doesn't see boiler pressure when it's off.

I sent you a PM with a link to all the schematics and diagrams for our machine in case that would help.

Ira

Advertisement
sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Isn't there an easier way to prevent the autofill from starting at that time?
Scott
LMWDP #248

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Crack open the water valve so the pump refills the boiler before you start your process. That way your boiler is topped off and should not refill during a shot. You could also add a bypass switch inline with the boiler fill solenoid and just turn it off so it does not open during your shots. Lot easier than adding another pump and re-plumbing and wiring everything.
Dave Stephens