The French Press reinvented - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#21: Post by jbviau »

jpender wrote:...does anyone make a stainless vacuum bottle press?
I think the Espro press would qualify, no? http://espro.ca/espro-press/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

[creative nickname]

#22: Post by [creative nickname] »

The Espro is a stainless, vacuum-insulated press. It also has by far the best filter design of any press on the market.

Edited to add: Whoops -- It looks like Joshua already had this covered! Well, +1 anyway.
LMWDP #435

MWJB

#23: Post by MWJB »

I think John is talking about brewing the slurry within a vacuum sealed container, in order to minimise heat loss & speed up extraction? He has already demonstrated this elsewhere.

I may well be in the minority on this score, but I prefer my French press coffee under ~70C (due to both physical heat & changes in the mouthfeel, I found myself updosing insulated/larger pots to compensate for mouthfeel) & have come to the conclusion that heat loss (assuming the flavour is developed to taste) isn't a big problem...if you're not in a hurry that is :wink:.

I had always felt that brewing big/insulated/maintaining slurry temp was the way to go (it will be for many & commercial applications), but for me, now I'm not so sure, I want the coffee to hit a level of development & my preferred temp as quickly as it can, which it tends to do in a small, single wall, glass press.

YMMV as they say.

jpender

#24: Post by jpender »

MWJB wrote:I think John is talking about brewing the slurry within a vacuum sealed container, in order to minimise heat loss & speed up extraction?
I was just pointing out that with an insulated container it's possible to achieve the evenness of temperature that siphon fans love.

Vacuum bottle brew:

MWJB

#25: Post by MWJB »

The siphon also benefits from filtering the brew through the grounds bed on draw down, increasing clarity. Tricky to see how this can be replicated in French press (without additional filtration), however well the brew is insulated?