Buying a Moka Pot - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Lvx

#41: Post by Lvx »

doubleOsoul wrote:Very helpful, Lucio. By the way, I like your youtube videos (I'm the one who has been leaving comments). :)
Thanks, I know you, the "famous" doubleOsoul " :D

Lvx

#42: Post by Lvx »

bmb wrote: The coffee flow from the stainless ones is steady and uniform, from the aluminum it's all burp and spit.
Buy a new silicone gasket :D
No other reason

Lvx

#43: Post by Lvx »

SpromoSapiens wrote:, users apparently need a potholder to touch the handle to lift it off the burner. (at 2:40 in the linked vid)

That Pensofal just shot to the top of my list, thanks for that link. Shame it only seems to come in black + branding. Can someone explain the difference in valves, i.e. the Bialetti standard vs the Pensofal "Inspection valve for better temperature control and safety?"
The same valve is now installed on new Moka Bialetti. It's easier to check than the old style: just pull the pin to be sure it works well.

Lvx

#44: Post by Lvx »

My good morning moka is the "Squisita" http://www.ilpiaceredelcaffe.it/Templat ... getto=3047
I use it daily since 2010 http://caffettiere.blogspot.it/2010/02/ ... parte.html
http://caffettiere.blogspot.it/2010/07/ ... parte.html

The only issue is the overall higher temperature at the end of the extraction (73°C vs 65°C with the Bialetti). I have the 4 cups, maybe 2 cups has the perfect height.
But I love it. Strong, fast, easy to clean (you remove all scale in the lower chamber ... with your finger!).

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#45: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

Sadly the Squisita is apparently not available in the States.

Also I notice the Pensofal gets terrible marks on Amazon.it, as people say it is not actually effective on induction. Or so I deduce from the remnants of my Italian skills. Is there some other benefit to the combined steel/alu bottom? I do like the heat-absorbing extra width.

What might be the benefits of Teflon in a moka pot?

#46: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

For closure:
After much agonizing, inquiring, and eBay-lurking, I wound up back where I started, at the simplest, cheapest, most obvious option. A plain old brand-new aluminum 3-cup Bialetti Moka Express is on its way. So many generations of Italians + Dr. Gary can't be wrong. :D If I really fall in love, then maybe I'll revisit the stainless or ceramic ideas.

drgary
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary »

Good choice! :lol:

You'll get a kick out of this. Last week I walked into a Goodwill and found a brand new 6 cup Bialetti Moka Express for $13. There was no box and the lid was just slightly off alignment. It had never been used. I easily realigned the lid on its hinge. It'll probably be a gift to someone I'm introducing to coffee.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#48: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I walked into a Goodwill and found a brand new 6 cup Bialetti...
Of course you did. You were obviously not there specifically looking for one. Like love, the second you stop searching for it, there it is.